This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Very frustrated! iexplore 8 caused internet disapperance

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Yesterday I went to reinstall my McAfee (free from Comcast) which had mysteriously disappeared. When I went to download it, it came up that I needed to install Internet Explorer 8 first. Well the install failed and now I cannot get onto the internet at all. I am connected, my internet is fine as my daughter's laptop is working. When I go into the control panel and click on internet options, nothing happens. When I click on internet explorer to connect to the internet thru Comcast the window comes up blank and the little thing at the bottom has the iexplorer icon but is blank. Then the window closes after about 4 seconds. I am at work right now using their computer to write this. When I went thru my Windows files there are big yellow questions marks over a file reading access and two other ones I cannot remember right now. When I can manuver to get to omething that enables me to reach my favorites, anything I click on gets the same blank window for 4 seconds. I tried the system restore to an earlier date twice and it didn't fix the problem. I went to add and remove and the Internet Explorer 8 is not there but 7 is. I don't know what happened or what to do!!! I restarted my computer, tried unplugging and replugging in my router…….
Hi willow_may03, sorry to hear of your problem.

Question, how are you posting here? Since you have access to another computer, download the latest Mozilla FireFox 3.0.4 and put it on a flash drive or burn it to CD. Take it to your damaged computer and install it, see if it works.

Also, please open a command prompt, run ipconfig /all and post the results here.
  • Click on Start then Run
  • Type cmd and press Enter or click OK
  • Type ipconfig /all and press Enter
  • Right click on the command prompt window title bar, select Edit then Mark
  • Use the mouse to select all the output from the ipconfig command, them click the right mouse button. This will copy the data to the clipboard.
  • Start a new post here and paste the data you copied into it.
One more task, also from a command prompt. Enter ping www.mozilla.org and press Enter. You should see a response similar to the following:

If this works then you have a working internet connection, it's just IE that is hosed.

Pinging www-mozilla-org.glb.mozilla.com [63.245.209.11] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 63.245.209.11: bytes=32 time=86ms TTL=236
Reply from 63.245.209.11: bytes=32 time=87ms TTL=236
Reply from 63.245.209.11: bytes=32 time=87ms TTL=236
Reply from 63.245.209.11: bytes=32 time=87ms TTL=236

Ping statistics for 63.245.209.11:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 86ms, Maximum = 87ms, Average = 86ms
First, I marked the the first command prompt result but what am I supposed to paste it too??? I tried the mozilla prompt but the command window won't stay open once I press enter for everything to load (all the reply stuff).
Okay. I was able to download mozilla from a flash drive. I have internet connection!! Thank you!! It still does notexplain what happened to my internet explorer??
You are currently using IE7 then, correct? Try uninstalling it from Add/Remove programs. That should give you IE6 back. See if that works. If yes, then you could reinstall IE7.
When I went to remove Internet Explorer 7 in add/remove I clicked on Internet Explorer 7 and there is no remove button to click on?? Also, only some of the security updates have the remove button on them to remove the program. So now what? Could I just reinstal Internet Explorer 7 without removing it first. Would the new files just go where the old files are??
Sounds like you installed IE7 before SP2 or SP3, which ever level you are currently at. That removes the ability to uninstall it. Not sure how you would reinstall IE7, but it's worth a try. Perhaps just download and install it …

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI