This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

drivers

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello For the average user like me, is it necessary to update drivers? I went to the Dell site and clicked on 'recommended' and there were about 35 drivers displayed.. I read them the best I could but when I tried to download some that seemed 'safe,' the response was the driver was already in my machine. Another said to download DLA to Sonic but I don't want that as it would make the files not readable on other machines. It is probably a good idea if you know what you are doing but I don't. I am having no trouble and I do not want to look for it; I would however try to download drivers if it were necessary for security or something important like that. I would appreciate some advice. Thank you
Hi GrampyPete,

I am sure you would know the saying, "if it ain't broke, don't be fixing it".

From my experience there is no need at all to update drivers unless you are having problems with them. You can check this by doing one or each of the following:
  • Here is a link to do this, with another offering assistance from their FAQ
and/or

  • Right Click My Computer icon on your desktop
  • Properties
  • Hardware
  • Device Manager
  • You will see if there are yellow or red warning there that may show you do need driver updates.
I forgot to mention, never, never, download and install drivers recommended through Windows Updates. If you are in need of driver updates another alternative is go to your manufactures website once you have identified the driver you do need through Device Manager.

best regards,
Hi Tallin That is a comforting reply. I checked my device manager and all is well there. But, now I know to go to the manufacturer if a problem occurs which show it requires an updated driver. Thank you
How about the free driver update (DriverMax) as suggested here also

Here is a link to do this, with another offering assistance from their FAQ

He does the hard work for you, then you can either go to your Manufacturers website or download and install from his offering of the versions needed. Running DriverMax only shows you in detail about your drivers that maybe out of date, it does not update them unless you give permission.

Glad to be able to help you.

kind regards,

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI