I just recently re-installed a fresh copy of Windows XP onto my laptop. Completely formatted the HD and re-installed it. I've done this at least 2-5 times in my life and i've never ran into the issue of having to update drivers before I can connect to the internet.
All of my drivers need updating like usual, but I can't connect to the internet on my laptop and I think I need to update the driver before it will activate my ethernet controller and allow internet access. What kind of carp** is that?
Anyways, I need to locate my drivers so I can get the internet working on it and get it up and going. Please help!
Hi,
Have a look in Device manager and see if your network adaptor is working OK….any yellow or red markers and you may have found the driver issues.
If you have used a manufacturer's restore disc to format and reinstall Windows then either on that disc or on an accompanying one there should be all the drivers that were originally shipped with your machine…they may work OK as they are, but if not they can be updated from the manufacturer's website.
If you used an original Microsoft Windows installation disc for reinstalling, then Windows will allocate its own drivers, for most stuff and if your are having trouble with Internet its best to check your network adaptor drivers first. (via Device Manager as explained above)
I am assuming ,of course that you have otherwise configured your machine correctly
Post back if you need any more detailed or specific information
Regards
paws
I went to gateway's web-site and entered in my computer's serial number and then OS and it gave me the correct drivers. Last time I just googled it and it gave me a different page.
Thanks for helping.