Currently using windows xp sp3, planning to upgrade to windows 7 shortly. I installed driver robot some time ago as a trial programme. At the time of running there were no driver updates needed. I hadn't seen it come up again until yesterday and apparently there are 84 drivers out of date.
As I've had no experience of driver update programmes could I ask if anyone uses this programme and if it is okay to just
download and install the drivers or can anyone recommend a better programme. It would have to one that 'knows what it is looking for' (which driver robot seems to do) as I would have no idea what information to enter for a programme to search for updates. This is a self build pc.
These seem to be drivers for system board, motherboard and all drives and hardware, internal & external.
Also, it gives 2 mp3 players which aren't plugged in at the moment. Stupid question I suppose - would I have to plug them in to update the drivers?
I ran another driver programme in comparison and it found 39 drivers out of date, but it didn't state what they were. I would have to purchase the software to find out, so I don't know exactly what it scanned or what the updates are for. I had to enter the information of the pc to get new drivers or just run automatic scan. Did the latter, as I don't know what to input in the questions.
Thanks for reading and in advance for any help offered.
hedley
I myself don't trust any 3rd party driver finding program. The best way to find new drivers is to go to the manufacturers website and see if there is a updated driver available.
Just my personal opinion as most of these programs like you mention usually want you to pay for their service and they will do nothing more then what I have mentioned.
Save yourself the money and take some time to go to their websites and check. If the driver is for a onboard peripheral then check with the motherboard manufacturer. If the system is a brand name then check with their website.
I myself don't trust any 3rd party driver finding program.
I don't either. IMO, it is not necessary to upgrade drivers just because new drivers are out there, unless (1) they address a specific problem you are having, (2) they address a security issue, (3) current driver is corrupt.
Hi hedley93,
I agree 100% with all the wise words and advice you have received in this topic here……
Incidentally this must be some form of record……..4 experienced technicians and computer experts…. all in complete agreement……
Regards
paws
Thank you all for your help.
Driver robot is about to be removed from my pc.
Paws: this is exactly why I come to this site. 4 technicians and computer experts. I know I can rely on good advice here.
Thank you all again for your help.
If you need some help in finding the latest driver that is available let us know and we can try to assist with anything you might have a problem finding.
Thanks for the kind words and I'm glad we could help get you going in the right direction for your drivers.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI