SFS
Topic Starter
Hi. I am having an IE problem. It all started with Windows security update that went bad.
My system tray said I had 6 security updates (KB922760, KB915597, KB927978, KB920213, KB923980, KB924270). While trying to install the first one, my computer rebooted. Upon restarting Windows, I got an error message about the system looking for browseui.dll, and the Start menu and desktop icons did not show up. I found this article on microsoft.com that described my problem exactly: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914222/en-us
I followed the instructions and expanded browseui.dll from my (quite old) XP CD. Upon reboot, my desktop, Start Menu, and Windows Explorer were now working. But as the support article predicted, I did have a fatal Iexplore.exe error. So I followed the six steps at the end to unregister and reregister browseui.dll. But after manually rebooting, IE still bombed out with the fatal error, pointing to "ModName: Browseui.dll". So I very carefully tried the unregister / reregister steps again. No dice. I still get the fatal error. It seems to happen when I switch websites. For example: my home site is Yahoo. I can search and follow Yahoo links. But when I type in another URL (e.g. www.netflix.com), I get the error and IE bombs. IE also bombs when I use forms.
I tried to install the updates again and the same thing happened. I had to expand browseui.dll again and tried the unregister/register step again. IE is still bombing often.
I did have a nasty virus problem you guys helped me with about three months ago, but the computer has been running great since then: http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?act=…sult_type=posts
Here are my basics:
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
FYI - The Microsoft Auto Update webpage history shows that KB920980 was sucessfully installed and then had two failed installs AFTER that date.
Any suggestions you can supply would be greatly appreciated. Should I just try IE7 or is there something I need to fix before that?
Thanks,
Scott in Ohio
My system tray said I had 6 security updates (KB922760, KB915597, KB927978, KB920213, KB923980, KB924270). While trying to install the first one, my computer rebooted. Upon restarting Windows, I got an error message about the system looking for browseui.dll, and the Start menu and desktop icons did not show up. I found this article on microsoft.com that described my problem exactly: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914222/en-us
I followed the instructions and expanded browseui.dll from my (quite old) XP CD. Upon reboot, my desktop, Start Menu, and Windows Explorer were now working. But as the support article predicted, I did have a fatal Iexplore.exe error. So I followed the six steps at the end to unregister and reregister browseui.dll. But after manually rebooting, IE still bombed out with the fatal error, pointing to "ModName: Browseui.dll". So I very carefully tried the unregister / reregister steps again. No dice. I still get the fatal error. It seems to happen when I switch websites. For example: my home site is Yahoo. I can search and follow Yahoo links. But when I type in another URL (e.g. www.netflix.com), I get the error and IE bombs. IE also bombs when I use forms.
I tried to install the updates again and the same thing happened. I had to expand browseui.dll again and tried the unregister/register step again. IE is still bombing often.
I did have a nasty virus problem you guys helped me with about three months ago, but the computer has been running great since then: http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?act=…sult_type=posts
Here are my basics:
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
FYI - The Microsoft Auto Update webpage history shows that KB920980 was sucessfully installed and then had two failed installs AFTER that date.
Any suggestions you can supply would be greatly appreciated. Should I just try IE7 or is there something I need to fix before that?
Thanks,
Scott in Ohio