Vista updates
7 min read
Is your Computer still under warranty? Did you buy it new in September? If it is, execute the warranty.
There should be no reason for you to disable your Firewall to obtain those updates.
Try this Tutorial which I am linking you to with the full permission of the owner of Help2Go to see if using Method 2 onwards helps you.
If you have error messages of your own when trying to resolve your Windows Update problem, please post them back here in detail for us to assist you further.
Best regards,
Good Morning Billex,
Is your Computer still under warranty? Did you buy it new in September? If it is, execute the warranty.
There should be no reason for you to disable your Firewall to obtain those updates.
Try this Tutorial which I am linking you to with the full permission of the owner of Help2Go to see if using Method 2 onwards helps you.
If you have error messages of your own when trying to resolve your Windows Update problem, please post them back here in detail for us to assist you further.
Best regards,
Hi, tallin, thanks for the response.
Yes the computer is till under warranty, I bought it new. I may have to take it back to a local Fry's and have them look at it.
I tried the method 2 in the link you gave me and I did get some errors when typing in the command window. After typing the second command in the DOS window, I got the ox80070005 error. I got the same when typing the subsequent commands. I exited the DOS window and tried windows update again. It's been checking for a few minutes now. We'll see what happens.
If the IT shop where you purchased your computer from is caring I would take it back there for attention as there are just so may different ways I could advise you to repair your situation we could be here forever. Don't misunderstand me I never give up, and am willing to help you, it is just that there maybe more stress for you in doing it through me, than at least seeing what "Fry" say to you.
Have you got your Vista Home Premium CD? If not, demand one from them when you next visit as (by law here in Australia) they need to supply you with your OS CD and the Driver CD in case you get into trouble later down the track.
You really need to proceed through the Tutorial fully in my experience word for word making a note of the error messages as you go if there are anymore and report back to me please.
I have also researched this link for you, post# 9 (although they are not numbered) that maybe of some assistance. Read the thread as it goes on for a many pages and see if you can get anything from it.
Good luck and do not hesitate to come back with more questions.
Best regards,
Hi Billix,
Thank you very much for updating your thread here on WTT.
I am glad you got all the Windows Updates installed and your computer is now running to your satisfaction.
Did your Supplier help you? We always like to know how the error with your system was resolved. so we can assist others along the track.
Best regards,
Hi, tallin
No, I didn't have to go to the supplier for resolution, although that would have been the next step, as the computer is under warranty.
The computer came with a Recovery and Utility disc, along with a Drivers and applications Restore disc. I decided to try the Recovery disc, looking for a possible "repair" option, but there wasn't one. The second tab in the window offered options to erase the C: and D: partitions, so I opted to reformat the C: drive and reinstall Vista, since I didn't have a lot of data or applications on it that I couldn't quickly replace. I had the firewall and anti-virus/malware apps on a flash drive, plus a desktop computer to use for downloading. The caveats are that you lose any tweaks you may have made, and you have to uninstall programs that you don't intend to use. Also, the time factor, which was 2-3 hours for me, would have been more had there been a lot of prep time archiving files.
That's about it as far as my experiences go. I hope that helps. It would be nice to know how things went awry in the first place, but it's Windows, and some us can break anything!
Let me know if I can be of any further help.
Cheers!
Just one tip I would offer, you were lucky it all worked out, as touching the system, voided your warranty here in my country (Australia) so we need caution in doing anything if things go wrong initially.
I wish you a very Happy Festive Season in the coming weeks. [external image: Posted Image] Please visit us again some time. You are most welcome.
Best regards,
Billix, again I offer my thanks to you for your full and interesting explanation as to a successful outcome.
Just one tip I would offer, you were lucky it all worked out, as touching the system, voided your warranty here in my country (Australia) so we need caution in doing anything if things go wrong initially.
I wish you a very Happy Festive Season in the coming weeks. [external image: Posted Image] Please visit us again some time. You are most welcome.
Best regards,
You are very welcome!
I did consider that I may void the warranty by doing what I did, but I was getting frustrated with the situation, and decided to go forward. It is a good thing that it all worked out. Your point is well taken though, in the future I will take the machine to the store and let them deal with any other problems.
Thanks for the best wishes, and the same for you! I will be here reading and learning a lot, and I'll be sure to post if I have other questions.
Thanks for all you folks do.
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI