This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Vista won't update

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi All! I've been working with the fine folks over at Safer-Networking forums to help with a NASTY bug (zero access rootkit). We've determine that it is no longer an issue, but in trying to maintain a bug-free computer, I am no longer able to update my Windows. Here's the specs: Dell Inspiron 1420 laptop with 2gb ram Windows Vista I have tried the FixIt Tool to no avail. I get a windows error code: WindowsUpdate_80096001 and error check will NOT run. Each time I run Winfix, it tells me it's fixed….but it it not. Please advise! Thanks a BUNCH!
I found several other people with the same problem and the only way they fixed it was to reinstall Windows.

Your arduous thread on Safer-networking

is 15 pages long. You have a lot more patients that I would for a problem like this. For instance, this thread on MajorGeeks tried every tool known to man or woman to fix this with no success. A reinstall fixed it.

This is what I recommend for you.

1. Back up your data
2. Do a clean install or restore to factory state using the recovery partition.
3. Install Service Pack 1 and Service Pack 2
4. Install all updates
5. Restore your data and install other software

I know this is not what you want to hear or do but it's the right thing to do.

If you're not ready to do that yet, read through the MajorGeeks thread and try the posted fixes. Maybe you'll get lucky.
According to the Dell™ Inspiron™ 1420 Owner's Manual, you can restore to Factory state as follows:

Restart the computer. To do this, click Start ® ® Restart.

As the computer restarts, press until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears on the screen.

NOTE: You must press the key before the Windows logo appears on the screen. If you press after the Windows logo appears on the screen, the Advanced Boot Options menu will not appear on the screen. If you do not see the Advanced Boot Options menu, restart the computer, and then repeat this step until you see the menu on the screen.

Press to select Repair Your Computer on the Advanced Boot Options menu, and then press .

Specify the language settings that you want, and then click Next.

Log in as a user who has administrative credentials, and then click OK.

Click Dell Factory Image Restore.

In the Dell Factory Image Restore window, click Next.

Select the Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory condition checkbox.

Click Next. The computer is restored to the default factory configuration.

You are right…I wanted to avoid doing a re-install….arghhhh…I have NO idea where my Dell disks are, but I will try the rest to factory settings. I will give it a try and THANK YOU for your assistance!!!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI