This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Laptop restarts immediately after turning on

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My laptop has recently begun doing this thing where I turn it on, I see the manufacturer's logo, then I see the Windows loading screen… and then I get a brief flash of a BSOD and the computer immediately restarts and goes through the same thing all over again, ad infinitum. This is unfortunately not the first problem I've had with this computer - last year it crashed, and I had to reinstall Windows two or three times before it would work again. At that point it liked to pretend that some of my drivers were missing, even after I reinstalled the drivers. The laptop has a wireless card installed directly into it - the computer occasionally liked to pretend that the wireless card wasn't there. But it still worked, so I continued to use it. In October I took it to Lake Tahoe on a vacation, and once it got there it refused to recognize my hard drive. I brought it back home and got it to work, but now it would turn on, run normally for ten minutes, and then freeze, requiring a hard restart. And now this, with the BSOD and the restarting. I have no idea what the BSOD says, as it's only up on the screen for about half a second. I've tried cleaning any dust out of it, but it's a sealed unit and I can't get very far into it to see how much, if any, dust as accumulated. Is there anything I can do to fix it? Thanks :-)
:welcome: Ligaia,

We hope you find the answer to your Laptop problems and enjoy being a member here at WTT.

No one else has come by to assist with your problem so perhaps you could research here as a start to see if any of the sites help you.

You also mention a BSOD at bootup, you may like to go here and read the link to see if it assists you.

Have you got your registerd Windows OS CD? If you have there would are other suggestions to execute.

Post back to keep us updated.

Best regards,
Hi, If you haven't found the solution in the link tallin sent you then I suggest 1 you try to boot into safe mode, select "last good config" and see if your machine will boot. 2 One of causes of the problems you have been experiencing is a failing hard drive… 3 did you get it checked out when you first experienced problems? 4 and is your back up/archive/copy of all your stuff (everything that is important to you on your machine) fully up to date, accurate, reproducible and kept safe on removable media? 5 Can you boot from your Microsoft Windows XP installation disc? 6 Have you disconnected from the Internet, disconnected any peripherals, ext. hard drives, thumb drives, printers etc., removed the battery from your laptop and tried to boot with just the mains electricity connected (via any voltage control regulator if appropriate?) Post back with the details of your machine's make and model number and we will take it from there Regards paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI