This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

"Blue Screen + Reboot" -- possibly WiFi related

11 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello!

Back about August 2009 my notebook crashed. I had been listening to an online podcast (via Wifi connection) and left it playing while I ran to the store to pick up something. When I came back the notebook was off. Tried rebooting it…nothing.

I quit using it and switched to another computer. Last Thanksgiving (i.e., more than a year later) I decided I’d try to see if a “friend of a friend” could fix the notebook for not much money but first turned it on to remind myself exactly how it reacted. Low and behold it booted up! It remained on through bootup and I was able even to surf the web a little. But then it all of a sudden rebooted itself. Right before the reboot, however, flashed a “blue screen with white lettering”.

Since Thanksgiving, I have been searching online for info and help. The past few days I’ve been working with a guy at SpywareWarrior, who at the end of all his checks and cleaning procedures, concluded that malware/spyware/viruses etc. are NOT involved in this problem. He suggested it may be hardware/software related and pointed me to several online sites where I might find help…your site was one of them.

Here’s what I’ve been able to determine over the last several days (prior to contacting SpywareWarrior) regarding the behavior of my notebook:

If I am not connected to the internet the notebook is stable. If I am WIRED to the internet the notebook works fine and the “blue screen flash + reboot” does NOT occur. If I am WiFi connected, the system will turn on normally but at some point a “Blue Screen with white text” will flash for a split second and then reboot the system.

This “blue screen + reboot” scenario can occur at various points: a) during initial turn on (boot-up) of the computer when the Windows logo is still waving on the screen; B) during boot-up when icons are still being placed on the desktop; c) towards the end of a boot-up; d) after boot-up has completed – length of time varies but the longest "up-time" has been maybe 30-40 minutes…although I haven’t actually timed it.

In reading another post to your website, you gave instructions on how to change the “auto-reboot” function so the Blue Screen would stay on. I did that so I could copy the error message. (NOTE: it suggests the problem may be related to newly installed software. Since the initial crash occurred back in August 2009 I cannot remember if I had installed new software or not. It is very possible that “automatic updates” may have been installed the day of or while the podcast was streaming (??). I do not know how to go into my system to see what updates may have occurred on that day back in August 2009):

BLUE SCREEN ERROR MESSAGE:


A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you’ve seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F* to select Advanced Startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information:

***STOP: 0x0000000A (0xFF1701F0, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804D9B64)

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

END OF BLUE SCREEN ERROR MESSAGE


I’m not sure what computer info to send…let me know if you need more than this (I did a Belarc Advisor scan which listed all of this):

Operating System
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)

System Model TOSHIBA Satellite M35X PSA72U-00W00X
Enclosure Type: Notebook

Processor a
1.70 gigahertz Intel Pentium M
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Not hyper-threaded

Main Circuit Board b
Board: TOSHIBA EAL20
BIOS: TOSHIBA V1.40 10/20/2004

Drives
80.02 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
61.65 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-820S [Optical drive]
TOSHIBA MK8025GAS [Hard drive] (80.03 GB) – drive 0, s/n 64A49825S, rev KA024A, SMART Status: Healthy

Memory Modules c,d
480 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
Slot 'JP21' has 512 MB
Slot 'JP20' is Empty

Local Drive Volumes
c: (NTFS on drive 0) 80.02 GB (61.65 GB free)

Bus Adapters
ENE CB-710/712/714/810 Cardbus Controller
ENE PCI Memory Stick Card Reader Controller
ENE PCI Secure Digital Card Reader Controller
ENE PCI SmartMedia / xD Card Reader Controller
Intel® 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C2
Intel® 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C4
Intel® 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C7
Intel® 82801DB/DBM USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24CD

Display
Intel® 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller [Display adapter] (2x)
CPT [Monitor] (November 2004)

Communications
TOSHIBA Software Modem
1394 Net Adapter
Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC

Am wondering if this is something I might be able to fix. I really don’t want to spend the money for shipment to my friend’s friend since that–plus his charges–I may as well purchase a new laptop given some low prices out there. But I’m happy with this notebook and I don’t feel as though I’ve gotten good use out of it yet.

Thanks for your help and guidance!
Hi MaidMarion, welcome to WhatTheTech.

I have to say that is one of the best initial problem posts I've ever seen, many thanks for taking the time to provide the data needed to hopefully figure out what it happening. The only addition I would like is a link to your thread in the SpywareWarrior forum.

You will probably have to disable Wi-Fi to do the following since you say having Wi-Fi active gives you the BSOD, or is just having a wired connection enough to prevent the BSOD? If so, then connect via Ethernet until your ready to reboot, then disconnect it and reboot. Hope that makes sense.

The first thing to try is to open Device Manager and uninstall your Wi-Fi device then reboot. XP will rediscover it and reload the driver. See if that helps. If XP doesn't see it, you will need to enable it then wait a bit. If still not seen, do another reboot with WiFi enabled.

Click on Start then Run, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter or click GO.
Expand Network adapters.
Right click on Intel® 802.11a/b/g and select Uninstall.
Click OK then close Device Manager and reboot. See how it is now.

If still no good, download on a different computer the Wi-Fi driver from the Toshiba web site here: Satellite M35X-S349 (PSA72U-00W00X). Copy it to the Notebook using a flash drive or a CD.

Again, you may need to disable Wi-Fi first, then Uninstall it from Device Manager but don't reboot. Instead, install the new Wi-Fi drive then reboot. If the Wi-FI device is not detected and the drive loaded, enable it and reboot one more time.
Hi Ztruker,

Thanks for the compliment…tried to get as much in on the first post…

Here is the link to my SpywareWarrior thread: http://spywarewarrior.com/viewtopic.php?p=219775#219775

In my initial post on Spyware Warrior I had said this: “So next I tried booting it up in regular mode without my WiFi turned on…and it remains stable that way too. But if I turn the WiFi switch to "on" it triggers the "blue screen flash" and then the system reboot.”

Prior to that post I had, on several different occasions, tried “turning on the WiFi switch” under various scenarios both in regular and safe modes: a) I’d boot my computer up with Ethernet cable connected. Then at some point in time (I’d for instance maybe surf the web for awhile) I’d pull out the Ethernet cable and then turn the WiFi switch to “on” and poof—the “BSOD + reboot” would happen; or B) with my computer fully booted up (but NOT connected to the internet via the Ethernet cable or WiFi) I’d turn the WiFi switch to “on” and poof—the “BSOD + reboot”.

That was the situation during my interaction with SpywareWarrior. However, before I posted to your website, I several times tried recreating this particular “turning WiFi switch to on” scenario and the “BSOD + reboot” did NOT happen which is why I didn’t mention that particular wrinkle in my post to you because I could no longer force the crash by “turning on” the WiFi switch. But the computer was still crashing by itself at some point along the way while in “WiFi mode”. (It has always been stable if connected to the internet via cable and has always been stable WHEN NOT connected to the internet via cable. With this Toshiba model, if the WiFi switch is “on” and the Ethernet cable also plugged in, the system defaults to the hardwired connection. I have not tried the scenario where I have had the Ethernet plugged in and the WiFi switch turned on and then pulled out the cable to see what happened. What I was doing was pulling out the cable first and then turning the WiFi switch “on”.) Anyway, there no longer seems to be a “switch” scenario anymore.

AND!!! Since this morning’s post to you I’ve left my Toshiba on with WiFi connection…and it hasn’t crashed yet! This is almost like making an appointment with the doctor…when you finally get to his office the pain has gone away… 

So I don’t know if we need to proceed or not or wait for another attack. If you think we should proceed, I have these questions:

1) To disable my WiFi, I’m not sure how to do that. Can I just turn the switch to off?
2) When I go into Device Manager, under Network Adapters is listed only “1394 Net Adapter” and “Intel ® PRO/100 VE Network Connection”. Is the PRO/100 the device I would need to uninstall?
3) If I need to download the driver from the Toshiba website, since I can connect via cable to my notebook without any problem, can I just download it directly to it or do I still need to download to a different computer?
I wouldn't do anything until the problem reoccurs.

1) To disable my WiFi, I’m not sure how to do that. Can I just turn the switch to off?

Switch is fine, better actually.

2) When I go into Device Manager, under Network Adapters is listed only “1394 Net Adapter” and “Intel ® PRO/100 VE Network Connection”. Is the PRO/100 the device I would need to uninstall?

"Intel ® PRO/100" is your Ethernet (wired) connection. Wireless won't show unless the switch is Enabled. So you'll have to enable it, uninstall from Device Manager then reboot and see what happens.

3) If I need to download the driver from the Toshiba website, since I can connect via cable to my notebook without any problem, can I just download it directly to it or do I still need to download to a different computer?

Download via your wired connection for sure.
Rich, About two minutes ago my notebook got the BSOD screen…the error message is exactly the same as before. (Well it was good while it lasted!) It's late so I won't try doing the uninstall until tomorrow. By the way, when I previously looked at my network adapter for my Intel 802.11 device, I was on my PC (I've been using my PC when making my posts) …which has no WiFi capability. (:huh:) So I turned to check my notebook 's Device Manager and I do see the WiFi adapter there. It was soon after I checked this that the BSOD appeared. I haven't been working on the notebook much at all today…just left it on to see how long it would take to crash. And it finally did. 'Til tomorrow. Thanks for your help!
Rich, Okay, I uninstalled the WiFi and upon reboot my system reloaded the driver. I then turned the WiFi switch to "on" and went to my browser and it loaded my homepage and after a moment or two the BSOD screen arrived. The error message is exactly the same. Should I try downloading the driver from Toshiba online or is it the same as what my system automatically loaded? Thanks!
Try the driver from the Toshiba web site. If that doesn't help then I'll need to look at the mini dumps created with the BSOD. If so, I'll give you directions on how to find, zip and upload them here.
Okay, with the Wifi disabled, I uninstalled the wireless device and then installed the driver from the Toshiba website. My system recognized the driver; included with the driver was some “application software” which automatically downloaded and installed as well. With the WiFi switch still “off/disabled” I rebooted (6:33pm) and then once fully booted enabled the WiFi (6:39pm). (As an aside, the wireless icon is now labeled “Wireless Network Connection 3”…is any harm done if I were to rename it?) As of 6:59pm I haven’t crashed. Will keep it on and use it; will notify you in the event it crashes between now and when I go to bed. Tomorrow morning will boot it up with the WiFi already enabled and use all day and if I’m incident free will let you know tomorrow evening. Thanks again!
Hi everyone,

I googled for help and came across this forum.

I am using a Toshiba Tecra M2 and after installing XP3, my wifi has stopped working and gives me the BSOD with the same technical error as MaidMarion, and doing this physical dump.

I tried to reinstall my driver but it didn't work. i have a feeling i did not do it properly.

I can't turn on my wifi switch at all or the PC will go into blue screen. I checked Belarc Advisor, and these are my details. Appreciate any help if possible!

TOSHIBA TECRA M2V PTM2VL-000J8
System Serial Number: 44126312P
Enclosure Type: Notebook

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United States)
Installed: 9/5/2011 1:31:06 PM

Board: TOSHIBA Portable PC Version A0
Serial Number: $$T044NBGH
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: TOSHIBA Version 1.20 03/08/2004

(CONTROLLERS)
Intel® 82801DBM Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CA
Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]

(BUS ADAPTERS)
Toshiba ToPIC100 CardBus Controller (2x)
Intel® 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C2
Intel® 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C4
Intel® 82801DB/DBM USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24CD

(COMMUNICATIONS)
TOSHIBA Software Modem AMR


↑ Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection
primary Auto IP Address: 10.136.36.53 / 24
Gateway: 10.136.36.1
Dhcp Server: 10.136.61.78
Physical Address: 00:08:0D:0F:4C:FE
↓ Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
Status: Cable unplugged
Dhcp Server: 192.168.0.1
Physical Address: 00:0E:35:0F:E2:70

Networking Dns Servers: 10.152.193.146
10.152.194.25

—————————

Hello!

Back about August 2009 my notebook crashed. I had been listening to an online podcast (via Wifi connection) and left it playing while I ran to the store to pick up something. When I came back the notebook was off. Tried rebooting it…nothing.

I quit using it and switched to another computer. Last Thanksgiving (i.e., more than a year later) I decided I’d try to see if a “friend of a friend” could fix the notebook for not much money but first turned it on to remind myself exactly how it reacted. Low and behold it booted up! It remained on through bootup and I was able even to surf the web a little. But then it all of a sudden rebooted itself. Right before the reboot, however, flashed a “blue screen with white lettering”.

Since Thanksgiving, I have been searching online for info and help. The past few days I’ve been working with a guy at SpywareWarrior, who at the end of all his checks and cleaning procedures, concluded that malware/spyware/viruses etc. are NOT involved in this problem. He suggested it may be hardware/software related and pointed me to several online sites where I might find help…your site was one of them.

Here’s what I’ve been able to determine over the last several days (prior to contacting SpywareWarrior) regarding the behavior of my notebook:

If I am not connected to the internet the notebook is stable. If I am WIRED to the internet the notebook works fine and the “blue screen flash + reboot” does NOT occur. If I am WiFi connected, the system will turn on normally but at some point a “Blue Screen with white text” will flash for a split second and then reboot the system.

This “blue screen + reboot” scenario can occur at various points: a) during initial turn on (boot-up) of the computer when the Windows logo is still waving on the screen; B) during boot-up when icons are still being placed on the desktop; c) towards the end of a boot-up; d) after boot-up has completed – length of time varies but the longest "up-time" has been maybe 30-40 minutes…although I haven’t actually timed it.

In reading another post to your website, you gave instructions on how to change the “auto-reboot” function so the Blue Screen would stay on. I did that so I could copy the error message. (NOTE: it suggests the problem may be related to newly installed software. Since the initial crash occurred back in August 2009 I cannot remember if I had installed new software or not. It is very possible that “automatic updates” may have been installed the day of or while the podcast was streaming (??). I do not know how to go into my system to see what updates may have occurred on that day back in August 2009):

BLUE SCREEN ERROR MESSAGE:


A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you’ve seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F* to select Advanced Startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information:

***STOP: 0x0000000A (0xFF1701F0, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804D9B64)

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

END OF BLUE SCREEN ERROR MESSAGE


I’m not sure what computer info to send…let me know if you need more than this (I did a Belarc Advisor scan which listed all of this):

Operating System
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)

System Model TOSHIBA Satellite M35X PSA72U-00W00X
Enclosure Type: Notebook

Processor a
1.70 gigahertz Intel Pentium M
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Not hyper-threaded

Main Circuit Board b
Board: TOSHIBA EAL20
BIOS: TOSHIBA V1.40 10/20/2004

Drives
80.02 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
61.65 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-820S [Optical drive]
TOSHIBA MK8025GAS [Hard drive] (80.03 GB) – drive 0, s/n 64A49825S, rev KA024A, SMART Status: Healthy

Memory Modules c,d
480 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
Slot 'JP21' has 512 MB
Slot 'JP20' is Empty

Local Drive Volumes
c: (NTFS on drive 0) 80.02 GB (61.65 GB free)

Bus Adapters
ENE CB-710/712/714/810 Cardbus Controller
ENE PCI Memory Stick Card Reader Controller
ENE PCI Secure Digital Card Reader Controller
ENE PCI SmartMedia / xD Card Reader Controller
Intel® 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C2
Intel® 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C4
Intel® 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C7
Intel® 82801DB/DBM USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24CD

Display
Intel® 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller [Display adapter] (2x)
CPT [Monitor] (November 2004)

Communications
TOSHIBA Software Modem
1394 Net Adapter
Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC

Am wondering if this is something I might be able to fix. I really don’t want to spend the money for shipment to my friend’s friend since that–plus his charges–I may as well purchase a new laptop given some low prices out there. But I’m happy with this notebook and I don’t feel as though I’ve gotten good use out of it yet.

Thanks for your help and guidance!

Hi tankee, and welcome to the WTT forums.Sorry to hear of the problem with your computer. To get assistance its best to start your own topic, So open a new topic, providing as much information as possible and one of our members who have experience in this area will be more likely to see it…..and therefore be able to help you. Regards paws
Hi. I have been dealing with the same problem of the blue screen+reboot, i have a Toshiba Tecra M2. Exactly the same syntoms, rebooting when i turn on the wifi button. It's funny but just this morning i started to think tha the problem were the wifi or something related to it. When i am "wired" there is no problem, so I'll uninstall the actual driver controller and probe another drivers for my wifi lan device. By te way, what makes me to suspect about the wireless was that i am only able to connect to wifi connections but i am not able to use ad-oc conections ( I was trying to source of internet wireless conection to my cell phone and it does not "see" my wireless, also the ad-oc conection says "signal intensity: no signal"). Thanks guys for the help, and I will be trying to find the correct driver expecting to fix both problems (BSOD and not signal intensity)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI