This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Firewall Problem

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Need to Uninstall Agnitum's Outpost Firewall, as it has past it's 30 day trial period, and
I was looking at using ZoneAlarm, though recently tried it(And liked it),it had problems with AVG8Free Updates.
So my plan of attack is to firstly remove Outpost, and reinstall the ZoneAlarm Firewall to see if AVG will update.

My major problem though is that Outpost wont uninstall.
It has no uninstall program, and when I used add/remove programs it returned a message telling
me that a file called unins000.msg is missing.

Are the directions below, the only way or is there a better way ?

Please give directions as I need a Firewall

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How do I uninstall Outpost manually? - 12-03-2008


To completely uninstall the software from your system, perform the following steps.

Please use the following links for quick navigation: For Outpost Firewall : For Outpost Security Suite : Outpost Firewall :

Note: If the Outpost Firewall installation folder is different from the default one (C:\Program Files\Agnitum\Outpost Firewall) ,
use its path instead of the specified one.


Driver uninstallation:

IMPORTANT: Restart your computer in Safe Mode (if you do not know how to restart in safe mode, click here ).

Select Start > Run , type in the command: "C:\Program Files\Agnitum\Outpost Firewall\install.exe" /u and click OK .


Components unregistration:

Select Start > Run , type in the command: regsvr32 /u: "C:\Program Files\Agnitum\Outpost Firewall\op_shell.dll" and click OK .


Repeat previous action for each of these commands:

Select Start > Run , type in the command: regsvr32 /u: "C:\Program Files\Agnitum\Outpost Firewall\op_data.dll"

Select Start > Run , type in the command: regsvr32 /u: "C:\Program Files\Agnitum\Outpost Firewall\op_log.dll"

Select Start > Run , type in the command: regsvr32 /u: "C:\Program Files\Agnitum\Outpost Firewall\Plugins\BrowserBar\ie_bar …

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With many Thanks :thumbup:


Jkc73
Amendment, to the 2nd Post :blush:

Posted Today, 02:41 PM
Is it wise to use Uninstall Manager from HJT to accomplish my task?

NO!
This doesn't work :smack:

Jkc73
Hi Jkc73,

Your problem with AVG8 may be similar to what thousands of others with AVG8 have recently experienced.

The following is safe to do and will "probably" fix your update problem:

Open - My Computer - Windows Explorer
Navigate to: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVG8\Update\download\
You will find approximately or exactly 50 files in that folder.
Two of them will be File Type - CTF File
To find them easily, Click once on the "Type" (Colum) to arrange the file list by Type.
The two CTF files should now be the very top two listed files.

You should see:
AVGinfowin.ctf - 7kb <– Rename file to avginfowin.old
AVGinfoavi.ctf - 3kb <– Rename file to avginfoavi.old

Now Go open your AVG Control Panel and proceed with Updates. <– should now work without problem

Don't worry about the Firewall at this time <– Is most likely not related to your AVG8 updating problem.

Post back with results.

Doug

Edited: I made a typo in the first file name: Should read avginfowin.ctf sorry.
Hi again Jkc73,

Further information about AVG8 updating issues:

On this machine, just this morning, I had a second instance of Update Failure with notification of invalid CFT file, even though a couple of days ago I had completed the procedure that I recommended to you above.

So I went back in and freshly renamed the CFT files as "old".
Alas… still no-go with the updates.

So as a "stage two" maneuver, I simply "Moved" the CFT and old CFT files to a Temporary File that I created to stash them.
I do not like to "delete" files as a first line of attack, although that would have worked in this situation.

Manual updating is an option, but not one that I like, since the live auto updating feature selects only the needed updates during the process
AND, if you believe the AVG manual update page, they are offering a manual update posted Oct 17th <– sheesh. That's no update at all.

So I decided to use the Right-Click - Update Now option from the AVG Icon in the Notification area of Windows Toolbar near your clock.

Right-Click - Update Now …….. worked just fine and the machine is now fully updated.

I've been an AVG user and fan for nearly 7 years. ( and never an infection)
I've tried various others, but always come back to AVG AntiVirus.

AVG started having "more difficulties" in recent months when they discontinued AVG AntiSpyware as a stand-alone, and incorporated it into their paid product and into the "free" AVG Antivirus 8.0

I intend to continue with AVG8….. for a while.

AVG – if you are listening…. Don't make me replace you with Antivir or AVAST! hehehe

Doug
Doug

There is a problem, :pullhair:
Uninstall of Outpost failed miserably,

Please have a look at the "full" instructions here:
http://www.agnitum.com/support/kb/article….159&lang=en

As with any time you are working with the Registry, Make a backup FIRST !

Yes, followed to the letter, in fact that's what windows was complaining about!!
I seem to have lost, well not me, my PC has lost the ability to boot in safe mode :scratch:

F8 > Safe Mode :thumbup:
Makes it to the scrolling files and stops on them, waiting ———-> waiting —-> nothing(15mins) :rant2:
Had to manual restart :smack:
Tried again and same thing.(10mins) :wacko:

Jkc73
Hi Doug

AVG8 updating issues,

I seem to be able to update manually aswell, I was unable to change the files,
  • AVGinfowin.ctf - 7kb <– Rename file to avginfowin.old
  • AVGinfoavi.ctf - 3kb <– Rename file to avginfoavi.old
as I was unable to find them at the following directory, however AVG seems to be working fine enough for now, as I have other problems and can update manually.

Navigate to: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVG8\Update\download\



Jkc73

F8 > Safe Mode thumbup.gif
Makes it to the scrolling files and stops on them, waiting ———-> waiting —-> nothing(15mins) ranting.gif
Had to manual restart smack.gif
Tried again and same thing.(10mins) wacko.gif


Bummer!

Run ChkDsk on Drive C:\

Open My Computer or Windows Explorer
Right-Click on C:\
Select - Properties
Select - Tools(tab)
Press - Check Now (under Error Checking)

You will receive an "arguement" that ChkDsk cannot be run at this time due to files being in use. <– that's OK.
You will be invited to Select to run ChkDsk upon reboot. <– agree and reboot (close any open windows and save any workin progress)

When you reboot, CHECKDISK will initiate its scan and correction routine.
It will proceed without your attention and then will boot into Windows - Normal when it is finished.
CHECKDISK can take an awfully long time - 30 minutes to more than an hour, depending upon the size of your HD.
CHECKDISK does not easily present you with a report, but again it is possible to find it, but not terribly useful.
Run CHECKDISK a second time, or until it no longer finds any bad-sectors or has to recover corrupted files.
Let it do its work.

At that point, try re-starting your machine and using F8 to be able to boot into SAFE Mode.

Keep us posted.

Doug

AVG – if you are listening…. Don't make me replace you with Antivir or AVAST! hehehe


LOL yeah….I switched to Avast as soon as I saw 8.0….they're trying to do too much….going the ways of Norton and McAfee :(

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI