This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

comodo not in add/remove programmes

13 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I installed a new BT router yesterday and seemingly have to install the protection software that comes with it. I have Comodo Security Centre and Avg 8 Free installed on my pc both of which have to be uninstalled first. Comodo is not listed in Add/Remove programmes, but is there in Windows Explorer and I believe just deleting it here doesn't remove the programme. It does not appear in my programmes list on the start button. Therefore, I don't have an uninstall option, almost as if it isn't installed at all, yet the icon is in the notification tray and says it is running. Windows Firewall was disabled in Security Centre. This morning when I turned on the pc the security shield said that no firewall was installed. I turned on windows firewall then, just in case. Can anyone help as to what I can do to resolve this, please. If any more info is needed, please ask. Thank you for reading and in advance for any help offered. hedley
Hi Hedley,

I installed a new BT router yesterday and seemingly have to install the protection software that comes with it.

There is nothing you HAVE to, is there? I do not know what security software it is, but I really like your current security setup and wonder of the new stuff is better.

If the COMODO icon tray still shows up you can open COMODO and then go to the Miscellaneous tab. There will be a Diagnostics option. Try that one and see if it fixes your installation.

In case that did not help or COMODO is not running you may also want to try downloading a new installation/setup file from the COMODO website. A lot of installers have the option to Repair or Uninstall if you run them with the software already installed.

Please let us know.

Regards,
John.
H'mm…..you sound like my favourite english teacher at school. 'The words have & to never go together', it was permanently at the top of the blackboard, but enough reminiscing. I ran the diagnostic utility and it found nothing wrong with the installation. Would it be a good idea to download & reinstall again anyway and see if it appears in add/remove programmes, or does it not matter if it isn't there. The software with the router is McAfee - firewall, antivirus, rootkit detector, spyware and other threats and online security (bank, card details etc). Thanks for the help, much appreciated. hedley
Hi,

H'mm…..you sound like my favourite english teacher at school. 'The words have & to never go together', it was permanently at the top of the blackboard, but enough reminiscing.

I am not… ;)

I ran the diagnostic utility and it found nothing wrong with the installation.

Pity. Which version of COMODO do you exactly have? If you cannot find the right installer yourself I can also give try to find it for you (you will learn less from the latter ;) )

Would it be a good idea to download & reinstall again anyway and see if it appears in add/remove programmes, or does it not matter if it isn't there.

I think downloading and reinstalling would not be the best idea. Repairing or uninstalling using the installer (yes it sounds strange but I hope you have seen this kind of screen) is better.

The software with the router is McAfee - firewall, antivirus, rootkit detector, spyware and other threats and online security (bank, card details etc).

That is what I thought. One of the popular suites of which I am still trying to find out why it is so popular apart from good advertisement. Take a look at this:
http://www.thepcspy.com/read/what_really_s…_windows_down/5
It may not be exactly the same version of McAfee but I hope that you notice that it, together with Norton, slows your computer down extremely. Especially when comparing it with results of for instance the old AVG.

I know that Norton Internet Security 2009 is a big improvement, but I have not heard about such improvement of McAfee yet. That is why I would recommend keeping your current security setup unless you really want McAfee.

Please let us know.

Regards,
John.
Thanks for the reply. The version of Comodo Security Suite I have is 3.5.57173.439 XP Vista x32. I downloaded it from their site on 12.12.08. I have just been to their site and see they have a new version released a week ago. Sorry if this is a silly question, but if I downloaded this, would you know if it would give me an option for the version I have to be uninstalled before installing this one, if you know what I mean. Other than that, if you could advise on the installer you mention. Just to mention I have windows firewall running (as well) at the minute because I'm still getting a message that no firewall is installed if I turn it off. The message comes up as soon as the pc is turned on. I'm not quite at this stage yet :pullhair: Thanks for the help hedley
Hi Hedley,

I downloaded it from their site on 12.12.08.

Don't you still have it on your machine?

I have just been to their site and see they have a new version released a week ago. Sorry if this is a silly question, but if I downloaded this, would you know if it would give me an option for the version I have to be uninstalled before installing this one, if you know what I mean.

If you do not have the old installer on your machine try the new one. If it does not give an option to Repair or Uninstall just try to install the new version. Make sure that you have completely closed and terminated COMODO at that moment so that the installation works as good as possible (just right-clicking on the icon in system tray and clicking Exit is enough).

Just to mention I have windows firewall running (as well) at the minute because I'm still getting a message that no firewall is installed if I turn it off. The message comes up as soon as the pc is turned on.

I understand that it thinks COMODO is gone because it is actually gone. The strange thing is that it does still startup, etc.

Please let us know.

Regards,
John.
Thanks for the reply. I downloaded and started to install the new version, a box came up immediately in Comodo with an error message as follows: Error 5: Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not in use. I had closed Comodo before I started as you said. Before installing I made a restore point and immediately restored to it. I then found the original installer you talked about and opted to install only the firewall as I already have avg8 antivirus. Installation went okay, computer had to be restarted to finish installation. That's when the problems started. I had no internet connection and comodo was bringing up all kinds of red alerts. Still no internet connection this morning so I uninstalled Comodo using RevoUninstall and as far as I know I have completely uninstalled it. I also used PC Tools Cleaner which found nothing. Internet now works fine. Avg had found a couple of infections on it's last scheduled scan, but removed them. I ran a scan after uninstalling Comodo with ccleaner, avg, windows defender, malwarebytes, spybot S&D. All came up clear. It looks like Comodo has issues with my pc now. At the moment I have windows firewall turned on again, but from what I've read this does not give complete cover. Can you recommend some other firewall that I can try, preferably free.
Hi,

Sad to hear that you have problems with the (re)installation of COMODO. Lately I also had to update to the new version by installing it over the top of the other one. All went fine but when I rebooted I also noted that it came with a bunch of notifications immediately on startup. This is not very user friendly, but of course needed. One of them was a new 'network' detected and maybe you did not have internet connection because you denied that one. Anyway, this is what I always tell to people without a firewall:

Using a Firewall on your computer can be very important. Without a firewall your computer is susceptible to being hacked and taken over. There are some different situations you can be in where a third-party firewall may or may not be a good addition to your system:

  • If you are not using Windows XP or Vista, but an older version I recommend you to use a firewall.
  • If you are using Windows XP or Vista, but are on dial-up I recommend you to use a firewall.
  • If you are using Windows XP or Vista and are using broadband, but are not experienced in using firewalls and getting the choice to allow or disallow things I recommend you to use Windows Firewall.
  • If you are using Windows XP or Vista, are using broadband and experienced, I recommend you to disable Windows Firewall (as it is not perfect) and get a third-party firewall.

Here are some firewalls which are free for personal use and most used:
Kerio Personal Firewall (Free version after 30 days)
Online Armor Free

Or you could buy their paid version online or in a shop nearby:
Kerio Personal Firewall (Continue paid version after 30 days)
Online Armor or Online Armor AV+ with Anti-Virus included


Please let us know.

Regards,
John.
Thanks for the reply. I tried to install the latest version again but still get the box up from Comodo with the same problem and I can't go any further. I have installed the first version of Comodo I originally had that came on a disc. Had to update and allow a lot of things - as you say, annoying but necessary. I will see how this goes and in the meantime I will look at the ones you have given as well. Thanks again for your help and your time. Very much appreciated. hedley
Hi hedley,

I tried to install the latest version again but still get the box up from Comodo with the same problem and I can't go any further.

Maybe you should try installing it in Safe Mode:
  • If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power.
  • Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on.
  • Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
  • Ensure that the Safe Mode option is selected.
  • Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.
  • Login on your usual account.

I have installed the first version of Comodo I originally had that came on a disc. Had to update and allow a lot of things - as you say, annoying but necessary.

This would be alright to me if I would be sure that this version still receives updates, but I am not sure and that is why I am unsure about your safety..

Regards,
John.
Thanks for the reply. So I uninstall this version before doing as you say? As a matter of interest, you mentioned the box that came up in the newer version asking about networks. It already had mine in it as Local Area Network and I just ok'd it. Should I change it to home network? Didn't tick the box at the bottom. Was that right? I think I would prefer the newer version to what I have, hope it works this time. Thanks for the help. hedley
Hi Hedley,

So I uninstall this version before doing as you say?

Yes, uninstall this version first.

As a matter of interest, you mentioned the box that came up in the newer version asking about networks. It already had mine in it as Local Area Network and I just ok'd it. Should I change it to home network? Didn't tick the box at the bottom. Was that right?

If we are talking about this image you should not tick that bottom option and the option above that only when you share printers/files/folders with other computers in the network.
[external image: Posted Image]

Please let me know.

Regards,
John.
Still no go with Comodo, I'm afraid. I downloaded Online Armor which you suggested and have had it running since we last spoke. It seems to be doing okay so far. My internet can seem a little slow at times, whether that's the firewall or the new router doing that. Thankyou again for your time and your help, always much appreciated and I'm sure I'll be back for more at some stage. hedley :thumbup: :notworthy:
Thanks for the reply. Very interesting reading and I already have followed a couple of steps. I would like to ask a question about the 'hosts' part of Online Armor. Can I do it here or should I start a new post? Thanks again for the help, much appreciated. hedley

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI