My husband thought this was free but when we discovered it was not, we opted out. Now I CANNOT get this to uninstall. I even called their tech support. They told me to Alt/F4 and then restart my computer, but it did nothing. Please tell me how to get this off my computer!
Well, thanks for trying but, it didn't work. I thought it was going to but it still will not remove part of it…so now every time I restart my computer the pop-up automatically starts "scanning" my computer . Seriously, this is probably the most frustrating thing, EVER! I don't know what else I can try…I do appreciate your trying to hel, though!
Try installing CCleaner from: ( http://www.ccleaner.com/ ). Follow the instructions to download and install it. You might want to run the Cleaner to free some space, but that's not your main problem now.
IF you look at the left side of the interface, you will see something called "Tools". It is the one with the wrench icon. Click it, and select "Startup". Remove everything there that has to do with the CyberDefender program. If you are unsure about what an entry means, google the process name. The entry MIGHT look something like this: C:\Program Files\Cyber Defender\CybDef.exe . Remove it by right-clicking, and selecting "Off".
Next, go back to the list you saw when you first clicked on "Tools", by clicking the "Uninstall Programs" box. Scroll down, and find Cyber Defender. Click "uninstall" from the menu on the right.
Reboot your computer. If it does NOT appear when you start your computer, and it is not in the "Uninstall Programs" list after you reboot, you can safely say it is gone. After that, you should open the CCleaner again, click on "Registry" from the left menu and run the scan. Backup, and clean the errors. Next, run the cleaner part of the program. This should remove at least some of the traces left behind.
It should work, but you have downloaded a Rouge Antivirus program, and they are usually hard to get away, after all, it is a kind of virus.
Software Rating: http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/cyberdefender.com
First off , I'm NOT a computer Tech by ANY stretch of the imagination , but , I have some experience with this type of problem…
Awhile ago there was a similar program called PCMightyMax….Another fraudelent program…
The best way to get rid of that particular file was to boot up in "Safe" mode & run your uninstallers…
Since they start up on a normal boot up, you are only fighting them…On safe mode they do not start up , therefore a LOT easier to get rid of unwanted programs/files…
My suggestion is to run any (OR ALL til it's gone) of the uninstaller programs previously suggested by the other posters in "Safe" mode….I suggest you start with the Revo Uninstaller first…Then use the "Search" box & enter Cyber Defender to clean up any straggler entries….
PLEASE post back & let us know how it went for you…OK….THANKS…..
And since he did not reply to the Malware Removal specialist's request for additional diagnostic logs to assure that this threat and any others had been erradicated. http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?s=…st&p=589408
Because of the above un-completed sequence, we really don't have sufficient information to know if a problem still exists, and if so, what next best steps should be taken.
Therefore, while the posted recommendations in this thread are thoughtful and worthy in their own right, we would do well to wait for feedback from the Original Poster before piling on with additional remedies.