This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Uploading files...

8 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Dear Person: I'm having a problem uploading a file to a thread here..When I try to do it , here's what I get===>> Upload failed. The file was larger than the available space…

This quote is from the "Attachments" area below where you compose your post…
Max. single upload size: 2MB
Attachment space used 2.17MB of 2MB…

The file size is 252KB…Appears to be a site problem …
Does the attachment space begin from your signup date or is it per post ??….( Seems to me that it should be per post..)
Now , I know this is not related to Windows…However , I was advised to post this here…
So , please , no nasties…
Thank you in advance for your help…. :whistling:
Hi Ron, I am pretty sure that the 2 MB limit is a total amount per person. With over 66,000 members the disc space would be huge if every one uploaded 2MB total. If it where per post users could use 10 MB times 66,000+ I do not know how many uploades you have, but if the last one took you over the cap it would not upload.
Hellllo there HFCG: Good to see ya again….

I am pretty sure that the 2 MB limit is a total amount per person.

I've posted several screenshots etc in previous threads…I have no idea of what their total file sizes would add up to….If that's the case , I would've used that feature more frugally…It would have been nice to have been informed of those limitations upfront…

If it where per post users could use 10 MB times 66,000+

Question: How do you get 10MB's per post ???

With over 66,000 members the disc space would be huge if every one uploaded 2MB total.

You & I both know that would never happen…Not in my lifetime or yours…A website such a this needs & must have the space , wether it's disc or solid state memory…
Being a newbie , I think that 2MB per post is reasonable & possible…After all , take a look at some of those HiJackThis files…They are huge & take a lot of space…

Finally, HFCG: A personal note : Please don't take my comments the wrong way….You've helped me
out in the past & I'm very appreciative for that…I'm not challenging you or the powers that be here…I'm just trying to use this forum properly… :) … Thank you VERY much :)
Ron,

I ran out of time doing this post, will post back when I return from my appointment.

regards,
_________________
I am back now to reply to your post. I know what the attachments are, but I just want you to check if your attachment area to post is the same as mine. In other words, one file can only be a max of 500K. In the second gif sent, is your area on the top left of the shot free of any attachments currently?

BTW: I found what I think is a very good cleaner called "Atomic Cleaner Beta"….I just started using it…It seems to clean out a whole bunch of files etc….Are you familiar with it ?? … Is it a safe program ?? FYI, It won't clean out those problem files either.. :wacko:

I do not have and I would not advise the above program you have started to use as I have no Beta software on my computers, consequently I know nothing about it/them.

As already stated in another thread of yours, don't worry about the odd file in your temporary folder, they must be there for a good reason if AFT-Cleaner does not remove them.

best regards,

Attachments:

  • [attachment removed: No_attachments_over_500kb.gif]
  • [attachment removed: Click_the_dropdown_menu.gif]
Heeey tallin; :wavey: Good to see ya again…Those attachments you sent are from the WTT posting area…The attachment I was trying to upload was a screenshot of the MS Disc Cleaner graphic showing the files it won't clean out…Thanks for your input…
BTW: I found what I think is a very good cleaner called "Atomic Cleaner Beta"….I just started using it…It seems to clean out a whole bunch of files etc….Are you familiar with it ?? … Is it a safe program ?? FYI, It won't clean out those problem files either.. :wacko: ………….Holy cow ! !… Where did your post go ??

I am pretty sure that the 2 MB limit is a total amount per person.

I've posted several screenshots etc in previous threads…I have no idea of what their total file sizes would add up to….If that's the case , I would've used that feature more frugally…It would have been nice to have been informed of those limitations upfront…


It actually does say it in the ToS and I'm sure it's in the rules or FAQ. They didn't hide this fact, I learned about it when I first joined even, I just forget where I heard it.

If it where per post users could use 10 MB times 66,000+

Question: How do you get 10MB's per post ???


Ron, he said if. He said this in correspondence with his next sentence, to prove a point about upload sizes. So no, you can't get 10MBs per post.


With over 66,000 members the disc space would be huge if every one uploaded 2MB total.

You & I both know that would never happen…Not in my lifetime or yours…A website such a this needs & must have the space , whether it's disc or solid state memory…
Being a newbie , I think that 2MB per post is reasonable & possible…After all , take a look at some of those HiJackThis files…They are huge & take a lot of space…


I'm not sure what you mean by "not in my lifetime or yours", but if they allowed 2MB per post then yes this site would be overloaded with uploaded files. Your right, HTJ files are huge and take up a lot of space, all the more reason they have to limit it. I think there's around 30 new posts in the Infections removal section every day (that's my guesstimate) and at just 1 HTJ log per post (theres several more later), after a week has past, that's a whole lot.
Helllo Vectris..Good to see ya again….OK , here we go…

It actually does say it in the ToS and I'm sure it's in the rules or FAQ

I don't know what "ToS" is…If you meant Terms of Use , I read every word of it & nowhere does it say anything about upload file sizes or accrued limits…I could not locate FAQ or any other place it might be….

I'm not sure what you mean by "not in my lifetime or yours", but if they allowed 2MB per post then yes this site would be overloaded with uploaded files

What I meant by "not in my lifetime or yours" is that as long as I or HFCG lives , that would never happen..Everybody is not going to upload 2MB per post…Some people may , but 99% won't…

A website such a this needs & must have the space , wether it's disc or solid state memory…

Being a newbie , I think that 2MB per post is reasonable & possible…

I still stand by these 2 statements ….

Now for tallin : You replied while I'm typeing this post… :D …

one file can only be a max of 500K.

Mine says "Max. single upload size: 2MB"…<<===…PLEASE remember this line…The file I tried to upload is 252KB

In the second gif sent, is your area on the top left of the shot free of any attachments currently?

If you are reffering to "Manage Current Attachments" , There are none there…
Otherwise , I don't know gif or understand the rest of this quote…Sorry….
Last quote !!

As already stated in another thread of yours, don't worry about the odd file in your temporary folder, they must be there for a good reason if AFT-Cleaner does not remove them

I don't remember any odd file….
I'm not having a problem with ATF…Sometimes I have to run it 2 or 3 time to clean everything , but I'm happy with it…Atomic Cleaner does a lot more & gives you a log of what it took off….Atomic Cleaner will not clean out the prob files either…The problem we are dealing with here is Windows Disc Cleaner… Which is in another thread… :lol:….See ya there or later
To Everybody: This problem has been resolved !! … Thanks to TomK in the HiJackThis forum ( I've been cleared)…. :thumbup: ..

If you want to reduce the amount of space you have used with attachments, you can go to My Controls at the top of the page. There you can delete any attachments that you no longer need.

There you scroll down to "Manage Attachments" …I opened that , & lo & behold there was list of over 2MB worth of attachments…I deleted all & am now ready to upload attachments again..These are the new notices…

Attachment space used 0bytes of 500K
Max. single upload size: 500K :woot:

Some direct replies & FYI'S…

From HFCG…I am pretty sure that the 2 MB limit is a total amount per person

From TomK::2MB is a per post limit.
After 2MB you have to delete some or all attachments

From tallin:: one file can only be a max of 500K.

You are 100% correct…

From Vectris ::It actually does say it in the ToS and I'm sure it's in the rules or FAQ

I still can not find either..
Here's the HiJackThis link..
http://forums.whatthetech.com/Sent_here_Em…rob_t97292.html
Thanks to All for your info , advice & help….

I don't know if the Tech Team has additional attachment space or not, but mine seems to set to 4MB:

[attachment removed]

Ditto.

But possibly because I'm a student. :unsure:
Dear Ztruker & Raktor: Mine has 2MB showing , which is fine with me…I suspect that yours is 4MB due to the fact that I'm an "Authentic Member" & you are a "Tech Helper" & "Authentic Member , Freshmen Class" , respectively….Thanks for your replies…. :)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI