Today for some reason I couldn't get on the internet. This happened a couple of weeks ago and the problem ended up having something to do with a setting in ZoneAlarm. Today, however, I wasn't able to even open up ZoneAlarm (bf always turns it off when he's playing WoW…) Everytime I clicked it, nothing happened. I ended up uninstalling it and after that I was able to get on the internet.
I've downloaded the latest version from their website and I'm trying to install it. Halfway through I get an error message and the installation quits.
"The file C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\installer_102908193914.log could not be opened. The requested operation cannot be performed on a file with a user-mapped section open."
Hello ,did you download a zip file or the .exe file .if zipped make sure you unzip the files and are not trying to install it from within the zipped folder .also make sure you are installing from a user acct that has administrator rights.
also i suggest you use ccleaner and clean out temp folders ,and ceanl up registry .
www.ccleaner.com
ahelaumakani,
If you decide to use CCleaner, be very careful running the registry cleaner. Remove a wrong key in the registry can make your system inoperatable.
yest that is true ! but has not happened to me on my computer in the 3 yrs i've been using ccleaner ,or any of the about 100 or more computer i've used it on .
If you are going to use an automated registry cleaner, or CCleaner issues as a registry cleaner, then you had best have a stated purpose.
Communicate that purpose to the individual you are helping.
Provide a cautionary note about risks.
And provide instructions for CCleaner or other registry cleaner for making a backup copy of the Registry from which the individual can recover if something does go wrong.
In general, WTT does not support use of Registry Cleaners.
If the tech who is helping has a specific purpose, communicates that purpose, describes the risk, and provides a backup strategy (ERUNT for instance) then the helper may proceed.
But I can't clearly see a good purpose for doing so in this present problem situation.
Caperjack wrote: also i suggest you use ccleaner and clean out temp folders ,and ceanl up registry .
I would recommend ATF-Cleaner.exe by Atribune rather than CCleaner selecting the option Select All before running it, I do this once a week with other maintenance which keeps my computers free and fast running.
Tallin,
When using ATF-Cleaner with the Select-All preference, you may benefit from taking one more step to un-select the Prefetch folder.
As you are probably aware, Windows uses Prefetch to make application loading more prompt.
If you "clear out" your Prefetch folder, then applications that your regularly use will experience a longer delay when loading the first next time, since Windows is re-populating it into the Prefetch folder that was just emptied.
This is only a "user preference" recommendation.
There is no "harm" involved with clearing the Prefetch, just inconvenience.
Thanks for recommending the excellent ATF-Cleaner. It is by far the preferred temp-cleaner for use with relatively inexperienced owners.
Some Techs have strong skills in the use of CCleaner, for instance, and can give good step by step and specific setting instructions for the particular purpose they intend for CCleaner. Without that expertise, it can be risky recommending CCleaner to folks in need of help here in these Forums.
Thanks again for bringing ATF-Cleaner to the attention of this user.
Best Regards
Doug
I downloaded the .exe version. I have ATF cleaner and use it regularly. When I attempted to run the ZA setup again I got this message:
"The file C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Local Settings\temp\11018152442\GLF19.tmp could not be opened. The requested operation cannot be performed on a file with a user-mapped section open."
I tried it again and got: ""The file C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Local Settings\temp\110108152905\GLF24.tmp could not be opened. The requested operation cannot be performed on a file with a user-mapped section open."
I believe I'm getting different error messages every time I try to run it.
I have done some research for you on Google. It appears your problem could be that your previous version of ZoneAlarm was not completely uninstalled. This could prevent you from installing a newly downloaded file of the latest software.
Please go to
Add and Remove
Can you see ZoneAlarm installed near the bottom of the utility
If so uninstall it
Then go to My Computer
Program files
ZoneAlarm Folder and delete it
Run your ATF-Cleaner by Atribune with the following options
Enable "Select All"
De select "Prefetch Folder" if you prefer!
Reboot
On boot up, download ZoneAlarm Free saving it to your desktop. Then attempt to install it and let us know how you progress. You need to be logged in as the Administrator to execute the above suggestions.
First let me say great job helping those in need ,i will not interfere with you classroom and studies again ,I do offer help a little reckless, sorry will not butt in again .good life!
I followed the steps and it still didn't work. I have PC Tools Spyware Doctor and can download a firewall that comes with it called PC Tools Firewall Plus. Would that be an OK substitute for Zone Alarm?
Would you confirm that you have no evidence of ZoneAlarm on your system please?
If in fact you have not, please go to
Start
Control Panel
Windows Firewall
Please tell us if it is turned on
If it is turned on, then you do have some Firewall Security but not the best in my opinion.
To answer your question, I have had a look at PC Firewall Plus. Is this the firewall you are thinking of downloading and installing?
Re Registry Cleaners: Here at Whatthetech, we do not recommend any registry cleaners at all due to them mostly being too severe, not improving the situation, and mostly doing more harm than good.
Unless any other volunteer here on WTT post to say not to install PC Firewall Plus, I cannot see any problem with downloading and installing it although I do not personally have any experience with it.
Post back to let us know what you decide to do.
Best regards,
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI