This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows Update Breaks Internet Access for Zone Alarm Users!

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Mod Edit: If you use ZoneAlarm and you lost Internet connectivity after installing the latest rounds of Windows Update, see my post below (#13). Sorry Terry for taking over your thread - but thanks for bring this to our attention - Digerati
*****************************
Original post below:


I booted up this morning and auto updates downloaded 3 fixes to Win XP. Installed only 2 of the 3 as the 3rd failed. After re-booting, I am unable to access the internet. I'm on someone else's pc to try and ge this fixed.

Any suggestions to how to get it fixed?

Thanks
Click on Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore, then follow the prompts to restore to an earlier time just before the updates.
Hmmm, I just read where others who are running ZoneAlarm 7.0.408 are having problems connecting to the Internet after installing the KB951748 update. So don't install that one now.
OK for your records and info: KB890830 Malicious software removal tool (failed again) KB951978 Update for Win XP KB951748 Security update for Win XP (not downloaded) Restart without any problems. I don't understand why the malicious software removal tool failed on both attempts this morning. That may have other issues with ZonePro
I would just sit tight and wait. Either CheckPoint or Microsoft (or both) will come out with a new patch soon.
I have renamed and stuck this topic for a bit as I suspect it will be hot soon.

It is confirmed that Microsoft's latest security update, KB951748, a DNS security update, is incompatible with Zone Alarm on many systems.

Do NOT install KB951748 at this time!

If you have installed the patches, see Check Point's ZoneAlarm Security Advisory, Workaround to Sudden Loss of Internet Access Problem.

For more information, see:

vnunet.com
ChannelRegister

Mod Edit: If you use ZoneAlarm and you lost Internet connectivity after installing the latest rounds of Windows Update, see my post below (#13). Sorry Terry for taking over your thread - but thanks for bring this to our attention - Digerati

Not a problem, if it helps others suffer less.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI