So some one tells me that if need be, i can contact microsoft for a new windows key for my old windows 95 disc. And any computer with a microsoft sticker on it, i can call up microsoft and ask for a new key. Well what happens when i get a hand me down. My old man gives me dozens of older Pentium 2s and 3s and the majority of them just need to be reformated. Does this mean i need to buy windows copies for each of them??? I have a bunch of computers lying around i could put to use but i would like a little more know how as to what i need to do. some one please help me out! Thanks!
Chris
From what I'm reading, you may be wanting to install your Windows 95 operating system onto several computers.
It is more likely that you could be able to use (1) one windows 95 installation CD on (1) machine.
Back in 2001, I had need for a single machine running Windows 95 to conduct a particular clinical test with a large population of people who would each perform their test seated at the machine and responding to onscreen prompts. The test had only ever been written for use with Windows 95.
I found and rehabilitated an older P2 machine which at one time had run Windows95, but which no longer had a Windows 95 installation CD, but did have the MS Windows 95 sticker pasted to the case. I was able to contact Microsoft and receive (1) one new Product Identification Key Code (the ordinary type of 25 digit alpha-numeric sequence). In doing so, Microsoft allowed that I could use an old Windows 95 CD that I had from a different defunct machine for the (1) one use on this rehabilitated machine. The CD, the Product Identification Key Code, and the machine became a newly registered unit with Microsoft.
Everybody was happy and I was able to conduct the testing, and still can with that same single use machine.
I highly doubt your will be able to do the same with multiple machines.
You may (and be very careful) be able to purchase several Windows 2000 operating system CD's, each for single use.
They used to be available legitimately at Craig's list and E-bay, but there were also quite a few scam offerings.
Windows 2000 will still be supported for a year or so more (not sure exactly how long)
Beware!
[removed] <– a place to start
Good Luck,
Doug
Although this is now an "aged" topic" just for the record..critical updates/security fixes will be available from Microsoft until July 2010 (for Windows 2000 Professional SP4)
Regards
paws
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI