Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

windows not genuine

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hedley93

hedley93

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:49 AM

Yes, 6 months after install and activation I got a message saying this copy of windows is not genuine. When I contacted MS and gave them my product key, they told me the software was indeed counterfeit. The place I bought it off is no longer in business, so according to MS my only choice is to buy genuine windows from MS themselves, or buy it elsewhere. A couple of questions before I do the drastic thing and format my hard drive for the new software, if I could. Can I back up my windows live mail on another hard drive/flash drive/dvd and restore it after installing the new OS? I used windows easy transfer to put my outlook express emails into windows 7. You can guess how many emails I have got in the last 6 months, plus the ones I already had in xp, that I need to keep and to save them all seperately would take forever and then some. I have the data I put into windows easy transfer at the time. Can I use that again to install what's in it once I install the new OS? I have all my documents, programme setup files, music, pictures etc all on different drives. I really have nothing on C:drive except windows. To reinstall my programme files I only need to use the files in my D: drive to install them into the C: drive again. I don't need to download them again or reinstall from discs. Having installed windows 7 with xp still on the hard drive, any settings I had were obviously kept, which won't be case this time as I deleted xp when I found windows 7 was working ok!!!. (don't laugh so loud). So hoping it won't be too hard to find updated drivers needed for windows 7. Or is it possible to back up the drivers on my pc as it is and reinstall them from a disc/other hard drive? If so, where do I find the drivers folder? Sorry this is so long winded, but I thought I'd better explain my perdicament as well as I could. Thank you so much for reading this and also in advance for any help offered. hedley

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:41 AM

I believe you can just change the product key and not do a reinstall: Windows 7 Not Genuine, but I bought a new Key...

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 hedley93

hedley93

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:16 AM

Thanks for the reply. The MS person gave me a website where I could buy windows & a product key for £139. When I went to the site all was offered was windows ultimate at £229, with or without a backup disc. I had already been on with MS twice and was getting nowhere. I was so disgusted and disheartened by what has happened that I have bought a new windows ultimate disc - not on the internet! What I would like to know now is can I use DBAN to completely erase my hard drive and then install windows on the same drive again, or will DBAN render my hard drive completely unusable. I thought of using this as I read formatting does not always erase all data and I don't want to have remnants of a counterfeit copy of windows on my pc. Thanks again for the help. hedley

#4 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:52 AM

Yes, you can use DBAN, but the windows format offered during fresh installation should be sufficient.
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#5 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:39 PM

See this tutorial by Brink (Shawn) on sevenforums.com: How to Do a Clean Installation with Windows 7.

No need to use DBAN unless it's something you feel you really want to do.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#6 hedley93

hedley93

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 05:34 AM

Thanks for the reply. Sorry not to have replied before now. I have reinstalled windows ultimate following the tutorial on the link you gave me. Thankyou. Just got to sort out my WLM now. Seemingly it can't be installed, but as this is a different subject I thought I'd better put it on as another post. Thanks again for the help, much appreciated, as always. hedley

#7 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:03 PM

For future reference you can just do an anytime upgrade and keep all your software in place even when the OS you purchased is not the same version as the OS you were using.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.