This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

reinstallation media

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello

If one buys a new PC how can they perform a clean installation of the OS if they do not get a disc anymore?

Can you get a key and download from MS?

Can you order without an OS and buy a retail Windows and does it have to be OEM specific to your machine  or not?

This question is one I would like to be informed about before I the time comes.

I do not want to rely upon the recovery discs they supply as they are not factory and conaatin the rubbish they wanted to insert originally.

TY

Peter

windows 10 no longer requires a key to be input so just install the same os that was originally on there (where ever you get it from and is usually 64bit home version) and microsoft will check against the details it holds about you and the pc and will automatically mark it as legal.

 

pretty sure though if you delete all unwanted programs and set everything up the way you want it and then make the recovery disk and backup image dvd's using win10's built in backup tools then you can use those to do a clean install without needing to remove the "extras" again in the first place.

 

using the built in recovery partition options will clean install it to the state it was in when purchased including all the unwanted "extra's"

 

so those are the 3 ways you can do a clean install, none require you to enter a key if the pc came with a win 10 os which i'd expect it to do.

 

:popcorn:

To clarify, If I buy new, I can download Windows 10 x 64 from Windows and not need a key. I heard digital Rivers is doing the same.

 

I was wondering if I could use the stick I now have from Tech Bench as it is  .WIM not .ESD for DISM purposes.

MS is not going to recognize he new PC so I would think a key would be needed.

 

I wonder if a key is involved if I can just use the product key from the side of the machine?

 

Another thing I am concerned about is the UEFI having or not having 'Legacy' as with it booting is so much easier. I wonder if this can be ascertained before purchase?

 

I know it sounds like I am splitting hairs but there are important to me and I would like to be as well prepared when I have to decide as I can be.

 

A clean install and  having .WIM along with Legacy in UEFI can make it a lot easier. These answers are hard to find.

 

I appreciate your input as always.

 

To clarify, If I buy new, I can download Windows 10 x 64 from Windows and not need a key. I heard digital Rivers is doing the same.

when you buy a new pc, power it on and first thing it does is phone home and check the os legality and check for updates, soon as it's done that you can download the correct os version (home, pro etc. etc.) from wherever and use it to do a clean install without the need to insert any key.

 

 

I was wondering if I could use the stick I now have from Tech Bench as it is  .WIM not .ESD for DISM purposes.

MS is not going to recognize he new PC so I would think a key would be needed.

depends, is it capable of install win 10 hone version if that's what the pc came with? if yes then yes you can use it without the need to know the key.

no idea why you think ms will not recognise the new pc and think you'll need to enter a key.

 

 

I wonder if a key is involved if I can just use the product key from the side of the machine?

there will be no key on the side of the pc, the key is now stored in uefi only and why you no longer need to enter a key. you can use software to find the key if you like and make a note of it but there is no longer a need to do so from windows 10 on up.

 

 

Another thing I am concerned about is the UEFI having or not having 'Legacy' as with it booting is so much easier. I wonder if this can be ascertained before purchase?

all uefi have a legacy mode but to be honest i really don't understand why you'd need or want to use it anyway.

your going to be using gpt partitioning and not mbr/dos partitioning so will have no need for legacy mode.

 

 

A clean install and  having .WIM along with Legacy in UEFI can make it a lot easier. These answers are hard to find.

again i fail to see how having .wim or legacy makes anything easier, except for the fact maybe that is what you've learned to use.

there are no benefits to setting up a new pc to boot legacy though that i can see and would stick to using uefi booting on any new pc, be that with or without secure boot enabled.

 

:popcorn:

 

more info about embedded keys (don't download the product key tool though unless you want to for some reason) :- https://neosmart.net/blog/2014/windows-10-embedded-product-key-tool/

You did not mention a disk or a stick. Where do you get one? Or you you get a free download from Windows and no longer use a stick or disc
I asked a company and they said they would send a $30 stick with the operating system and the drivers but maybe that is not necessary.

 

I remember those recovery discs you create.

 

So you could boot up get a phone call then delete the trash items first then create those discs to do a somewhat clean install.

 

Or you could get a ?download/disc/stick of your version of Windows which will be accepted as the key is already approved.

 

Do do a clean install you could, with no key, just use the media, or download to do so.

 

I have Win 10 pro and likely retail will be home so my stick would not work. The company said the stick would be 64 bit and .WIM with the OS and drivers. Pro is nice to have but I would not use more than home anyway.

 

The only link I am missing is where you get media or download or an ISO file for your system?

I do understand about the key and the tools and I thank you very much for that valuable information. I really have learned tons form this exchange. I had no idea about the new pcs and with all the reading I do - obviously.

 

PS I needed to amend this because I think, as you said, you use the Windows recovery tool to do a clean install so no need for media. On my system I think it is called reset where you ipe everything clean.

I am getting it slow but sure.    :adios:

to be honest peter i'm not sure what your still confused about, you'd get your windows 10 iso install media from the same place you got it from to make the stick you have now, can't remember where you made it from but if you want i can do a google search to find you instructions and download links.

 

think it was microsofts site but might have been some other site.

 

so like i said you have 3 options to do a clean install,

1:- use the built in recovery partition to do a factory restore, accessed by an F key.

2:- use the backup/recovery disks you make yourself from within windows. (i'd make them after removing any unwanted extras.)

3:- use install media you make yourself from windows 10 iso download.

 

maybe this link will better help you :- http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software/operating-systems/1401617/how-to-clean-install-windows-10-and-create-boot-media

 

did a quick google search and this is where you get the windows 10 iso file. :- https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

 

and if your confused about the kn and n version this will explain (you'd just select the windows 10 edition.) :- http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/what-are-windows-10-n-and-kn-editions

 

:popcorn:

 

ps. how come your post is the best answer? you trying to say my answers are useless? :rofl:

 

 

 

 

just pulling your leg peter. :P

Hi again terry

I understand the clean installs

The OS is a bit more foggy.

I am not so confused; just thinking of options which vary whether you build, have built, buy from a company, or get the OS retail.

Some is very clear like buying new and just activating with a phone call.

Then D…  will sell the comprehensive  stick.

If you have it built they install and I just use reset.

If I buy retail I think you get a key although i thought keys were gone as was the need for an ISO file and media..

My last paragraph above put it concisely - use rest to do a clean install.

I would like .WIM b/c it works with DISM's commands and do not know if you are better or worse off with OEM regarding restrictions.

I got my ISO file/stick  from Tech Bench as. WIM .

It is hard to believe that keys are a thing of the past and once activated you can just use rest to do a clean install but it certainly simplifies things. I would always make an image of an install as i want tit as baseline to revert back to if necessary.

Warranties are a different topic and are straight forward.

My nurse told me she just came to MD in the states from Bolton where my great grandfather had the Anchor Inn  Pub which is ow a B+B. I saw it on Google's satellite view. She said it is quite industrialized now.

You can pull my leg any day - keeps me awake  :)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI