This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Double click a folder in a network resources opens in a new window

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

If I'm using Windows Explorer to browse a folder on another computer on my network, and I double click on a folder, it opens a new window, rather than opening in the same window. For instance, if I'm browsing:

\\Desktop\hp_f\sources

and double click a folder under sources. it open in a new window which I find very annoying.

If I do this on a local resource, it works as I expect (and have it setup to do) and opens in the same window.

Is this true for the rest of you as well or is there some way to fix this?

I have Folder Options set to "Open each folder in the same window".

Works correctly with PowerDesk, just Windows Explorer that does this.
Hi Ztruker,

A couple of thoughts to check on the troublesome computer Folder Options.
  • Have you got "Launch Folder Windows in a separate process" enabled in Folder Options?
  • Mine is not enabled
  • Is "Remember each Folder View Settings" enabled in Folder options?
  • mine is enabled
I have only this PC booted at this time on my Network, but will check the settings on the others when I boot up and report back if they are different to the above.

Yes, it would be annoying, thankfully it is not happening down here.

The above were the only options I could find that went near your problem to post back and hopefully assist you.

kind regards, :notworthy:
I just checked 3 computers and as I was drilling down, I stayed in the same window. You say on another computer, do you have a 3rd to try? What happens when you go to that other computer and view a shared folder on your computer?
Good point Digerati, I'll try browsing my Laptop. Will also try browsing in the other direction, from my Web server to the Desktop and from my Laptop to the Web Server and Desktop.

Edit:
Tallin, my settings are the same as yours.

I just tried browsing from the Web Server to my Desktop with the same results. But … when I browsed my Laptop from my Desktop, it remained in the same window!!!! Now I have to figure out what is different on the Laptop :pullhair:

Interesting, when I browse my Desktop or Web Server from the Laptop, it opens in a new window.

Edit #2:
Just tried browsing from my Web Server to my Laptop and they open in new windows, yet doing the same thing from my Desktop to my Laptop, they stay within the same window.

At the moment, I'm totally baffled but I will persevere!
Ztruker,

Edit #2:
Just tried browsing from my Web Server to my Laptop and they open in new windows, yet doing the same thing from my Desktop to my Laptop, they stay within the same window.

At the moment, I'm totally baffled but I will persevere!


I have to say I am a bit baffled myself, will put some thought into your irritating problem when I boot up other computers here. Perhaps it was Patch Tuesday? I am blaming 9 updates for changing my email settings in My Control on this forum. :pullhair: In the meantime,

best regards,

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI