This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Too many explorer windows

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Ever since my HDD crashed and I got a new one and installed Win XP PRO SP2 back on it, every time I double click on a folder a new window pops up. If I have a lot of folders to go thru to get where I want to go, I have a whole desktop full of windows. I've went to tools/folder options in explorer and it is set to open each folder in the same window. I went to folder options in control panel and it's set the same. Why doesn't windows do what it's told to do? :rant2:
Hi,
There's an awful lot of this problem about and no one fix has a universal application.

If you go here http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1035471916

you will find a lot of people with the same problem and quite a few reporting that completely different actions have fixed their computer and done the job for them.

It will take you a few minutes to look through them all but I think you will find it worth it!
Regards
paws
Hi idontno, I'm glad you managed to fix it.. well done! and thanks for the link I will keep this in my File of "useful fixes" Regards paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI