Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Internet suddenly not working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Makofan

Makofan

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:03 PM

Our Compaq Presario has been running Windows 7 fine for 15 months. This morning when we booted the computer we had no internet connection (I am typing this from my backup XP computer). I checked Device Manager and could not find our wireless card, but I decided to connect with our DSL through ethernet and get an error 651. This second computer is on the same account/router and connects just fine. I have tried: System restore to May 7 Windows Repair on Network Uninstalling and reinstalling Network driver I am baffled

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:33 PM

Do one more System Restore but go back at least another day. I'm guessing a Windows Update was installed and it may be included in the restore point you used.

Also, one possibility of a fix for the 651 error here: Error 651 with PPPoE connections in Windows 7 though I have no idea how or why raspppoe.sys could be messed up. Worth trying if the System Restore does not fix this.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 Makofan

Makofan

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 05:35 PM

Neither fix worked :(

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:07 PM

Lets see if the wireless device is hidden for some reason?

First, create a new System Restore point. Then:

Open a Command Prompt.
Type set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 and press Enter.
Type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.
In the Device Manager window, click on View then Show hidden devices.

Scroll down and see if the wireless device shows up under Network Adapters or under Other.

If it's in either place, right click on it and select Uninstall.
Reboot and let XP rediscover it and reload the drivers. This can take a few minutes so be patient. See if that helps.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#5 JohnRocks

JohnRocks

Authentic Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:13 PM

There is a setting in your router called display SSiD. This is the name of your network that shows up under network connections. Sometimes it is possible that this has been turned off, if it’s so turn it back on.

#6 Makofan

Makofan

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:55 PM

I am sorry I did not get back to you on this. It ended up being a bad network cable!