Our Compaq Presario has been running Windows 7 fine for 15 months. This morning when we booted the computer we had no internet connection (I am typing this from my backup XP computer). I checked Device Manager and could not find our wireless card, but I decided to connect with our DSL through ethernet and get an error 651. This second computer is on the same account/router and connects just fine.
I have tried:
System restore to May 7
Windows Repair on Network
Uninstalling and reinstalling Network driver
I am baffled
Do one more System Restore but go back at least another day. I'm guessing a Windows Update was installed and it may be included in the restore point you used.
Also, one possibility of a fix for the 651 error here: Error 651 with PPPoE connections in Windows 7 though I have no idea how or why raspppoe.sys could be messed up. Worth trying if the System Restore does not fix this.
Lets see if the wireless device is hidden for some reason?
First, create a new System Restore point. Then:
Open a Command Prompt.
Type set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 and press Enter.
Type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.
In the Device Manager window, click on View then Show hidden devices.
Scroll down and see if the wireless device shows up under Network Adapters or under Other.
If it's in either place, right click on it and select Uninstall.
Reboot and let XP rediscover it and reload the drivers. This can take a few minutes so be patient. See if that helps.
There is a setting in your router called display SSiD. This is the name of your network that shows up under network connections. Sometimes it is possible that this has been turned off, if it’s so turn it back on.