This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Disconnecting

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi all, around four days ago my Wirelss Connection between my laptop and my router suddenly got disconnected. This was not the first time it happened, but usually i search for the wireless networks again and it reconnects automatically. This time it was different. After getting disconnected, it isn't reconnecting again and doesn't even find the wirless connection it was connected to. Even after reboot, the problem is still there. Apart from the laptop, I have another pc connected to the same router on the same wireless connection and it works hassle free, so the problem must be from the laptop. Would appreciate some help from you guys. Thanks
Hi Majorpainmt,

Welcome to WTT.

Can we presume that you have tried to recycle your modem and router (turning off power of both plus you computers, then starting modem, then router, then computer) Sometimes this clears any corruption of settings in modem or router.

Beyond that…
I hate to send you searching just after you've arrived and haven't even settled in for your first cup of coffee, but the solutions to your situation can be many and varied depending upon the hardware and setup configuration you are using.

Here are two links that cover much of the basics.
Not all of the recommendations worked for all of the people posting, but some of the solutions may benefit you.
And after reading them carefully I note that none of the recommendations are destructive.

If I was doing the work, I'd have a piece of paper and a pencil right next to me, to write down each step as I tried it, both for a record if it works, and to revert to prior status if it doesn't.

Have a look at these two threads.

This one particularly if one of your machines runs Vista:
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet…laptop-dis.aspx

and this one for other possible solutions:
http://www.pchelpforum.com/wireless-help/5…s-wireless.html
____________________-

If you have no joy from any of those suggestions, please post back with additional information about your machines, operating systems, NIC cards, router brand and model, brand of modem, and ISP. (not your address, just who is your internet service provider)

Best Regards
Hi Doug, I've formatted my laptop about four times, cause I had a problem which I found out was related to the same problem. A few minutes after boot up, the laptop was crashing all the time. After formating again, I installed all the drivers on the recovery dvd for my laptop, but I left out the one for my internal network card. It seems that was the problem about the laptop crashing, I still cannot connect throught the internal network card, but at least I can keep on working with my PCMCIA metwork card. I have an MSI M677. Are laptop network cards usually on-board ? (in case the network card is dead and needs replacement) thanks

but I left out the one for my internal network card.


Hi :)

What happens if you use the Microsoft driver for that card instead of the manufacturer's??
MS drivers for network cards are usually quite good.

Regards Abydos
What about checking the laptop manufacturers web site to see if they have an updated driver fro that NIC. Also see if they have BIOS update.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI