This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Reformat Check list?

12 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi WTT /wave I am planning to reformat and re-install windows for this PC. It has been a little while since I've reformted and re-installed everything and I want to be sure I'm not missing anything. I have: Windows Disk MB drivers Disk Video Drivers Disk (and current drivers going onto backup CD) Network driver Disk (updated going on CD) I have been looking for the Audio Drivers AC97 (seems to be fairly generic), I also am having some problems finding my disk for Roxio Easy CD Creator 6. I found some freeware thru cnet downloads that will work. I would like to be able to identify the componets and make sure I have the correct drivers and the most resent verisions. 1.) What site(s) or software would you recommend to identify the hardware in this system? 2.) Is there or do techs use a "check list" for preping for a format? 3.) AM I FORGETTING ANYTHING? :lol: Sorry that shout was more at myself because thats what I keep thinking. Thanks Tonka
Hello, Why are you reformatting? Oh well none of my business. Check the manufacture's web site for the drivers you will need. There should be a driver for your sound card on the manufacture's web site as well as updated drivers for all of your hardware.
Why do you want to reformat? It is my business! I am here to help folks with their computer problems so they can have a safe computing experience. Reformatting is rarely the path to that end. If the goal here is to fix a broken computer, reformatting is probably not the best solution.

Note my canned text below. If you think you might want to fix it without going through with a format, let us know what the problem is, and a bit about the hardware, and version of Windows.

[CannedText-On]
You definitely need to avoid reformatting as that is ALWAYS a last ditch effort. At the very least, you should attempt to repair your installation of XP before attempting to format and reinstall. See Michael Stevens XP Repair Install for complete instructions and necessary precautions. When you format your boot drive, you lose:
  • All hardware drivers, including:
    • Drivers specific to XP SP2 (or Vista),
    • Drivers specific to your motherboard, such as those needed for on-board graphics, sound, networking, USB I/O, SATA/SCSI controllers, etc.
  • Data files - including,
    • Documents, spreadsheets, databases, etc.,
    • Photos, music/audio and video,
    • Email (if using Outlook Express, Outlook or so other "client" (PC) based email program), as well as any saved contacts, appointments, and notes,
    • Favorites/Bookmarks
    • Downloaded programs and updates to them, including all your required security applications,
    • Custom configurations, for Windows and all other programs,
…and worst of all,
  • Security patches and Critical Updates setting your security defenses months, or even years behind!
After all repair options have been exhausted and the decision is to go ahead and reformat/reinstall, you must:
  • Ensure you have backed up all critical data and files,
  • Have all original installation disks and the CD/license keys on hand for Windows, as well as any other applications you have installed from CD, DVD, or download,
  • Have copies of all hardware drivers on CD, either original maker's driver disks, or better yet, by downloading (the latest version) from maker's download pages and burn them to CD, including drivers for,
    • The motherboard devices (including those for integrated devices),
    • Graphics card (if not integrated),
    • Sound card (if not integrated) (technically, sound is not needed, or at least, can wait),
  • Current copy of your anti-virus program (I would also recommend replacing Windows Firewall with a full two-way firewall at this time).
I always recommend installing SP2 (and now SP3) from an install program on CD and not through Windows Update.

Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) - Download and CD

Windows XP SP2 Network Installation Package - download and save to CD
or
Windows XP SP2 on CD, plus shipping and handling (about $3.50 in the US)

Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) - Downloads and CDs - (See MSKP Article 950717, Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3)

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network - ISO-9660 CD Image File

Windows XP Service Pack 3 on CD - Asia

Windows XP Service Pack 3 on CD - Europe and Africa

Windows XP Service Pack 3 on CD - North America - cost about $10 with shipping.

Windows XP Service Pack 3 on CD - South America


***************************
[CannedText-Off]

Hello,
Why are you reformatting? Oh well none of my business.
Check the manufacture's web site for the drivers you will need.
There should be a driver for your sound card on the manufacture's web site as well as updated drivers for all of your hardware.


The sound chip is on the Motherboard Intel 865/875, I'm not sure of the manufacture of the audio chip. I want to be sure I have the current/updated drivers backed up. (I have been google'n what I can think of)

I was hoping someone might recommend software or site to help identify everything.
and or mybe just some quick tips on things I might be forgetting.

:) the format is a last step. My kids have used this computer and I have had to remove virus/trojans/spyware on several occasions. As well as when I thought I was having a problem with one application I made changes to drivers setting etc. And it turned out my ISP was where the problem was (unresolved with them) They are blocking gaming ports.
All the Kids have there own systems now, so I want to wipe the slate clean with this system.

Why do you want to reformat? It is my business! I am here to help folks with their computer problems so they can have a safe computing experience. Reformatting is rarely the path to that end. If the goal here is to fix a broken computer, reformatting is probably not the best solution.

Note my canned text below. If you think you might want to fix it without going through with a format, let us know what the problem is, and a bit about the hardware, and version of Windows.

[CannedText-On]
You definitely need to avoid reformatting as that is ALWAYS a last ditch effort. At the very least, you should attempt to repair your installation of XP before attempting to format and reinstall. See Michael Stevens XP Repair Install for complete instructions and necessary precautions. When you format your boot drive, you lose:

  • All hardware drivers, including:
    • Drivers specific to XP SP2 (or Vista),
    • Drivers specific to your motherboard, such as those needed for on-board graphics, sound, networking, USB I/O, SATA/SCSI controllers, etc.
  • Data files - including,
    • Documents, spreadsheets, databases, etc.,
    • Photos, music/audio and video,
    • Email (if using Outlook Express, Outlook or so other "client" (PC) based email program), as well as any saved contacts, appointments, and notes,
    • Favorites/Bookmarks
    • Downloaded programs and updates to them, including all your required security applications,
    • Custom configurations, for Windows and all other programs,
…and worst of all,
  • Security patches and Critical Updates setting your security defenses months, or even years behind!
After all repair options have been exhausted and the decision is to go ahead and reformat/reinstall, you must:
  • Ensure you have backed up all critical data and files,
  • Have all original installation disks and the CD/license keys on hand for Windows, as well as any other applications you have installed from CD, DVD, or download,
  • Have copies of all hardware drivers on CD, either original maker's driver disks, or better yet, by downloading (the latest version) from maker's download pages and burn them to CD, including drivers for,
    • The motherboard devices (including those for integrated devices),
    • Graphics card (if not integrated),
    • Sound card (if not integrated) (technically, sound is not needed, or at least, can wait),
  • Current copy of your anti-virus program (I would also recommend replacing Windows Firewall with a full two-way firewall at this time).
I always recommend installing SP2 (and now SP3) from an install program on CD and not through Windows Update.

Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) - Download and CD

Windows XP SP2 Network Installation Package - download and save to CD
or
Windows XP SP2 on CD, plus shipping and handling (about $3.50 in the US)

Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) - Downloads and CDs - (See MSKP Article 950717, Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3)

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network - ISO-9660 CD Image File

Windows XP Service Pack 3 on CD - Asia

Windows XP Service Pack 3 on CD - Europe and Africa

Windows XP Service Pack 3 on CD - North America - cost about $10 with shipping.

Windows XP Service Pack 3 on CD - South America


***************************
[CannedText-Off]


Hi ya Digerati,

I'm game for giving fixing if you are.

Thank you very much for the links I'll be reading between post :)

In my reply to HFCG I mentioned real quick "why" I was refomatting. Your post brought up some very good points and reasons that I really don't "want" to re-do everything.

There is a long history behind everything on this system.
I have started going thru the steps mentioned in your post for preparing to re-format. It can't ever hurt to have those things on hand, disk, backups, etc.

Current Problems with this computer: (Windows XP home, SP 3)
Icon(s) and files unable to delete. Launching Game locks up video/keyboard/mouse, sound is still working, forcing hard boot (shutter). Those are starter things.

Thanks for the reply

All the Kids have there own systems now, so I want to wipe the slate clean with this system.

Then if that is the case, reformatting and reinstalling, then fully updating the system and building your security defenses is a great learning experience. But if something is broken, and you are trying to fix it, then formatting may fix it, but nothing is learned. You may end up breaking it again and still not know why.

If you think you might want to fix it without going through with a format, let us know what the problem is, and a bit about the hardware, and version of Windows.

Windows XP home, SP 3

Icon(s) and files unable to delete. Launching Game locks up video/keyboard/mouse

Well, as Meatloaf said, "two out of three ain't bad." Is this a PC or laptop? What is the make and model of the computer, or the motherboard, if custom assembled? How much RAM, and if separate graphics card, which one? What is make and model of the power supply?

Have you scanned for malware? I recommend you go to Control Panel, Add and Remove Software, then uninstall any program not needed that you will be the sole or primary user. Then purge your system of clutter using *Windows (XP or Vista) Disk Cleanup, ATF Cleaner or CCleaner. If you use CCleaner, then during installation, uncheck the option to install the Yahoo toolbar and before first use, go to Options > Settings > Advanced and ensure Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours is unchecked.

Note: Ensure you know your site credentials (user name and password) for sites you frequent before cleaning; you may have to login again at next visit.

Then download, install, update, and run Malwarebytes's Anti-Malware (MBAM) to ensure your system is free of malware. Then do the same for all other computers on your network (everything on your side of the Internet gateway, typically a cable/DSL modem).

Does simply launching the game crash the system, or does it crash when playing? If during play, what are your temperatures? Is the inside free of heat trapping dust?

Does it crash with any other program?
It's a custom built system. MB - PS83-BL (intel 2.4 hyperthread CPU) (I also have the disk) 1 gig of corsair matched ram ATI all-in-wonder (radeon 9000 I believe) Antic case and power supply Not sure of wattage The system has worked before and proir to infections had no issues at all. I had the system cleaned a few times with the help of the malware team here at WTT. I have resentily scanned using malware bytes. I also run ATF Cleaner very often. (Great tool) When I launch the game, it starts by acting like it's going to start the game, Sound is the opening launch music. A few seconds after it launches the keyboard number lock won't work, as soon as the game starts the mouse goes hourglass, turn pointer then disappears. The display stays with the windows desktop. Thanks for your time.

I took it that you would rather reformat than deal with the issues, The big D is correct about reformatting being the last option.
However, this is not the correct forum for mal-ware issues.
Please go to http://forums.whatthetech.com/Self_Help_Fi…alware_f97.html and start there.


HFCG:
Are you feeling alright?

I have seen many of your post and suggestions which all seemed like you were reading and following the whole thread.

I DO NOT HAVE A MALWARE ISSUE!

I do have resulting problems from removing malware/virus/trojans. As well as some problems with sofware (a game) not working.

I also have agreed and do agree that formating is the last ditch effort.
And am more than willing to work thru them for the learning experience.

Thank you for everyone replys.

Tonka
Just a quick update for those that are interested. Updating the Video drivers solved at least one problem I was having. The game issue. Now the main thing is I have some files on the desktop that I'm unable to delete, I get the message on 2 of them that they are in use, I have tryed under both user accounts setup on this system, and tryed under safe mode. I'll continue to reseach those files as well as the HP "share-to-web upload folder" which I think won't be to hard to find a solution for. The other files are game patch files on one users desktop but not the other, they also seem to be DOS (or Command prompt) run. Remember I have scanned for nasty and am clean. I feel these were a glitched patches I just need to figure out how to "stop" them and then delete them. Another couple of things: Still Running under seletive startup, many of the entries in startup are uninstalled now. I want to get that cleaned up. There are also some user accounts(folders) I would like to delete and ones I want to restrict (like guest accounts). I'm like to have 2-3 accounts, one for everyone (resricted), One for normal everyday things for me, maybe a poweruser, and another account for administrator rights. There seems to be 2 administrator accounts(folders). One is administrator, and the other is adminstrator."systemname" in my case the computers name is dadsxp. I not sure when that was created. And several other folders that don't have accounts that show up when accessed thru "user accounts". For log-in on normal boot 2 accounts to log into, safemode 3 accounts. normal: 2 created users(no guest). Safe: admin, and 2 users. Okay for now I'm working on getting those things cleared up, I'll check back and see if anyone has any suggestions. I will also post back with progess when/if I make any. Tonka
Install Unlocker. Then when you right click on the files you want to delete, select Unlocker. it will try to unlock the file then delete it. If it can't, it will schedule the file to be deleted on the next boot, when it should not be in use by anything.
The two admin accounts may give you problems - especially if some stuff you want to keep was installed by 1 admin, and other stuff by the other. I would pick one admin account and stick with it.

Eraser is a alternative to Unlocker that I have used many times.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI