Hello ,
This may sound daft , but , how do I check whether any software etc is O.K.before I download it to my computer. The reason I ask is because recently I had a virus on my computer, which was caused , ( possibly ) ,by me loading up a CD of an image editing program to use on my computer.I bought this item as being genuine , but as they say, ' you learn by your mistakes ' .
Your team member Raktor helped me and cleared it up , I run Microsoft essentials and all the other programs as suggested , but have become rather paranoid now , I have learnt a good lesson. I hope this is in the correct topic part.
Thanks in advance.
Combofix would have disabled autorun on CDs/DVDs, so that's one step in the right direction.
Once you put the CD in, navigate to My Computer. From there, right click on the CD drive and click Scan with Microsoft Security Essentials…. That should run it through a thorough scan and ensure that it's clean to use.
Hello Raktor,
Thanks for your help, I ' ve tried a number of CD 's and all is well , but one final question, how do I check any downloaded software , even from trusted companies ?
Thanks in advance
Just found one Trojan on a CD plug in for the Paintshop Pro9 !!
If you mean software that's already installed - you can run a full scan with Microsoft Security Essentials by opening it up and running a full scan.
If you mean software you've downloaded from the internet and haven't yet installed, right click on the file in the same way you would for a CD and click Scan with Microsoft Security Essentials…. If it's pirated software you've downloaded, the risk will be high, and I'd highly advise against doing that.
Hello Raktor,
Thanks for your quick reply, I will be using your suggestions for both already installed software and for downloaded software, the downloaded software is purchased engine tuning software from a reputable company.
All the best .