This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows XP Crash: Anything I can do?

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Xp Crashed on me, and I don't have the Setup disc. Secondhand computer and all… This is the message I get when it boots:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.


Is there anything I can do?
Here is a great article on understanding and resolving this kind of problem. It's possible that you may need to buy a copy of Windows XP at some point but for now, read the article.

http://www.help2go.com/Tutorials/Windows/C…or_corrupt.html

Since you don't have the XP CD, download and create a bootable CD from the .iso file: XP Recovery Console

You don't burn the iso file itself to CD., you create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. There is a good freeware burner called DeepBurnerwhich will do this. Another called ISO Recorder is also very easy to use.

Post back if you have any questions.
What kind of CD do I need to use for this kind of file? I don't use my burner for a whole lot…
OK, I'm sorry but I'm totally clueless when it comes to my burner. I have some CD-R Audio cds, are those good? Or does that "audio" change it? And when I open DeepBurner it gives me 3 options: Create Data CD/DVD, Create Audio CD, and Burn ISO Image. I'm guessing it's the last one, but since I only have 3 cds, I want to make sure I do it right the first time. Sorry if I'm being annoying. Edit: Ok, Tried it, got it to work, only I couldn't fix it, yet. So I'm taking some advice off Help2Go and getting Linux so I can at least *maybe* save some files before trying anything more drastic. Who knows, maybe I'll even like Linux better. My best friend is a computer science major, and she keeps trying to get me to switch…

Is there anything I can do?


Can you boot into one of the "safe Mode" options (there are three) ? [likely you will not be able to, as that is one of the hive files.]
by pressing [F8] during boot-up, (after power-on,) about two times every three seconds [if the windows scrolling screen appears, you missed it, press the -power- button until it goes off, (about 4 seconds.)] When successful a B&W screen will appear with options on it. Using the arrow keys, highlight "Safe Mode" or "safe mode with networking" and press [enter]. If another B&W window appears, just press [enter] again.

If you missed the menu and powered-down the PC, power it up again and wait for the "windows did not shut down properly" window….you may then select the safe mode option as above.

When the logon–or Welcome screen appears, select [or login as] the "administrator" account. The default is for No password. If that does not work, you cannot use this method [unless you can find the password or whomever changed it.]

Just before displaying the desktop, a dialog box will appear explaining that this is "safe mode" blah blah. Press the [NO] button to launch System Restore.

When you see the calendar, you will find that only Dates that are BOLDED have a Restore Point that you can use. Obviously the more recent the date, the closer the Registry will refelect the System settings and preferences that were there before the crashing…..

Hope this helps !

Tallon41

[if you cannot boot into Safe mode, can you borrow a blank hard drive from someone ? if you can install windows on this second drive, then we can do the System Restore, but using different procedures. DO NOT install on the same partition in a different folder…..this will WIPE-OUT all restore points. That method is only used when you want to copy user files off, and then wipe the drive and start over…. ]

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI