pc crash and at the recovery console part (xp pro) I have booted from CD and it is asking me "which windows installation would you like to log onto" It doesnt seem to accept nos and only a single letter, I have tried several letters and it then states invalid selection.
help please on what to do.
tried safe mode and also last known good confiq but always get back to corrupt \windows\system32\config\system….attempt repair ….
help appreciated
thanks
Hi,
Sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing with the recovery console.
Most folks only have one Windows installations and so they will press the 1 on the keyboard ( On the left hand side below the explanation mark).
Do not use the the numerical keyboard usually found at the right hand side of the keyboard as at this stage the Numlock is "off""
This should get you to the next screen where you will be promped to enter your Admin password (By default this is set to blank )so just hit the Enter key.
Regards
paws
ok that worked but now when i press 1 and then enter it shows C:\windows and i think I need to type something in here to show what i want it to repair.
What?
My fault is ….. "windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
\Windows\system32\config\system"
Hi Scudo,
This is a serious situation that your machine is in and it is possible that you may need to reinstall your operating system to cure the fault.
A reinstall is premature at this stage, but may become necessary in the future.
Please make sure that your backup/archive/copy of all important stuff on your computer is 100% up to date, correct and reproducible. You will also be well advised to have your windows Installation disc and all Application Installation discs handy as well as the product licence keys. (including that for Windows XP)
Even if your back up is only a few days old take this opportunity to bring it up to date now. Don't forget your data, settings, drivers, emails, address book, music, videos, photos and documents.
As your machine won't boot up at the moment you can slave your hard drive to another working computer or use an external USB hard drive enclosure for the extra backup. Opening your machine to remove the hard drive will entail you taking all the usual personal safety and anti static precautions to prevent injury to yourself or your household, your computer and the data within it. If you are not absolutely sure of the correct procedures to follow, then it would be best to place your machine in the hands of a local competent computer technician. It is good to save money and to learn, but not at the risk of personal safety or damage to your machine or data.
The following link: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_sys32.htm
will give you a good overview of the problem and a complete step by step set of instructions to follow. Kelly is a Microsoft Most Valuable Professional, (MVP) the advice is authoritative.
Please follow each step as explained in the notes.
Good luck
Regards
paws
Hi again Scudo,
Whilst you are studying the information I sent you It might be worthwhile for you to consider doing the following:
1 Using the Windows CD ROM, boot into the Recovery Console (as you did previously)
2 The Admin password is often set to blank, so just hit "enter"
3 At the command prompt, type in the following, very carefully, and noting the spaces, they are very, very important, if you get one wrong, this fix is unable to work!
cd repair
copy system c:\windows\system32\config\system (hit the enter key)
copy software c:\windows\system32\config\software (hit the enter key)
copy sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam (hit the enter key)
copy security c:\windows\system32\config\security (hit the enter key)
copy default c:\windows\system32\config\default (hit the enter key)
exit (hit the enter key)
When you have done this remove the Windows CD ROM and reboot your computer…….
if it starts now, then its a time to rejoice!
You can then use the System Restore facility to restore Windows to a previous working time.
Click Start
Click all programs
Click Accessories
Click System Tools
Click System Restore
Select "Restore my computer to an earlier time"
Click Next
Follow the onscreen prompts
Good luck
Regards
paws
Thanks for the info paws I have printed it off.
I eventually re formatted as I had most of my stuff backed up and due to my knowledge at that end thought the safest thing for me to do.
Since reformatting the PC was unstable after a few hours.
I sourced somewhere else the possibility of a couple of windows updates (critical patches KB893086) causing an issue, I have since taken them out and the PC (fingers crossed) has been stable for the last 24 hours.
I will see how the next couple of days go. Its cerainly running faster but as its now a few years old I can see Vista and a new PC in the coming months.
Thanks once again, hopefully I wont need to came back too soon.
regards
Scudo
I guess I spoke too soon, now getting this error message. But at least its now logging on.
error signature.
BCCode:1000000008e BCP1:C0000005 BCP F985D703 BCP: F3438C70 BCP00000000
OSVer 5_1_2600 SP:1_0 Product 256_1
Files
C:Windows\Minidump\mini 091007_01 dmp
C\DOCUME~John Locals~ 1\Temp\WERI. tmp.dil 01\Sysdata XML
Scudo
Hi Scudo,
I've been away for a few days but on returning I'm very glad to see that things are now more stable for you…..is it still OK now?
Regards
paws