Repair install causing error messages in most programs
8 min read
That's not a "manual system restore" it is similar though. The windows directory has now been altered. There are many entries in the Registry that reference the FULL path to system files [Services especially] and these are now all wrong.After a number of suggestion, I did a manual system restore. I installed a paralle OS, entered the System Volume Information folder and copied the files in one of the restore folders to the System32/Config folder.
If you were using SP3, then this is normal. You should uninstall 7 before any kind of OS 'repairing' function that will affect Service Pack files.Internet explorer starts up but it is showing as version 6 (with tabs) instead of version 7. I can't install version 7 no matter what I do and of course the tabs are not working since they are not for version 6.
Programs that still work fine are those that really did not make use of windows files in order to run, many programs are self-contained and can run from a Flash-drive if needed, most programs are not so fortunate.
At this point you've got a Scrammed "repair" install, a Full install into a parallel directory—and then loaded with the Scrammed hive files….You could, I suppose, pick-through the entire registry and and fix the Path issue I mentioned at the top of this post….that will not fix your IE7 problem though.
Frankly at this point, I would do another parallel install; copy off all your User profiles and data, re-format and clean install.
Tallon41
ah. Well a "parallel" windows install is installing Windows a second time in one partition. Installing windows on a second hard drive, or a different partition on the SAME partition, is called Dual-booting.I feel I wasn't very clear about where I copied the restore files. The original OS is on C: and the parallel is on D:. I booted into D: but every other operation I carried out was on C:.
Frankly you COULD still be infected with
Name: Shmgrate.exe
Description: Added by the GASTER TROJAN!
It is also the same name for an old NT file migration tool. so it's appearance COULD be legit though. Just because I do not remember ever encountering it before duing an installation, doesn't mean MS is not using it as part of the process.
This makes no sense unless it's for devices that you added later. You should be able to copy the dell dir from c: (or wherever they are,.) The drivers are on C: somewhere. using the lastest drivers from the Dell website should get them as well. Since that disk did not seem to have them, chances are it's for a different system. My customers sometimes bring me driver disks from Dell that are for a different PC, (they look pretty-much the same,) and would sware-so to me, but I just go to the Dell site and get the ones I need. If it had SOME of the divers, like LAN and Audio, then the disk is likely a close match as in it probably is for an INSPIRION…just not that one. If true, this also could be why the "recovery" disks did not work….if they were for a different PC. They usually are not interchanable, though the Setup program usually checks at the begining prior to executing for Compatable model.Even when I did a clean install on D: using the OEM Cd I was given, I couldn't get all the drivers my system needs even though I was provided with a drivers CD by Dell.
I think I would still do the copy—reformat, re-install. If for no other reason, then it likely will be faster than tracking-down everything you need to fix……
Tallon41
Good, another step in the right direction.Hi,
I couldn't find the folder you asked me to find but I found the folder C:\windows\ie7 and inside it I found the file spuninst.exe. So I executed it and voila, most of my problems were solved. Some of the programs that were giving me the error message are now working (not all) and IE seems to be working fine.
it SHOULD look and act like 6. Most of 7 is uninstalled. What is the "it" you are clicking that "nothing happens?"Only thing is IE is reading as IE6 but with tabs (which are working just fine) and I still cannot install IE7 (when I click it nothing happens).
I did not know you were getting that error…..but *IF* you attempted to claim ownership while booted into your account [the -default- profile but your user name,] then that does not usually work quite. You need to log into the Administrator account, (xp home must boot to Safe Mode to access,) "give" ownership to your User profile.2) I'm still getting the error "Windows cannot load the user's profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system. Detail - Incorrect Function" each time I log in. This is inspite of the fact that when this first happened, I claimed ownership of my profile. I'm not sure what is causing it to happen.
Tallon41
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI