This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Help with repair of Win XP

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I did a repair of Win XP from the CD. Now I can get to windows , but I can't use IE to get updates for windows. When I open IE I get the following: "The procedure entry point SHRegGetValueW could not be located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll" , and IE will not open. During the repair I got the following messages: Failure to load the library C:WINDOWSSystem32\catsrv.dll An error occured loading C:\ProgramFiles\Common Files\System\directdb.dll The file may not have been installed or it has been corrupted. An error occured loading C:\WINDOWS\System32inetcomm.dll C:\Programfiles\OutlookExpress\msoe.dll C:\ProgramFiles\System\wab32.dll I had the computer on during the night and when I went to it this morning it did an update and rebooted. I have it set to download updates but I choose when to install them, so it installed without my consent. I couldn't boot to Win Xp , so I did a repair. I had SP2 , but now it's SP1. SP2 and the update that it supposedly did is not listed in Add Remove Progams. I like to try to fix it for now and work on a new installation on another hard drive later. I have so much to redo and install. You have been very helpful in the past , so I hope someone can help or guide me to the appropiate forum. Thanks , Dennis
Hello,
Have you tried the system file checker in the recovery console (windows repair)?
When you do a repair use the command sfc /scannow
do not miss the space
For more information please go here.
Here's where I am now. Now I'm stuck , at the blue screen with windows setup in the upper left corner. I can't get any further than that. I have taken the hard drive to another comp. ,ran fdisk , booted to CD and installed win xp fine. Brought back original comp. ran fdisk ,booted to CD and gets stuck on setup screen. Can't get to repair screen. I've reflashed the bios , cleared CMOS , tried different cables on CD drives and hard drive. Tried 2 different CD drives. When I flashed the bios it had 3 rows of blocks as it was flashing. The top row stayed white ,which according to the awdflash says "no change" or something to that affect. The second 2 rows were aqua ,which accoring to awdflash were written. Could some thing in the bios be corrupted in the first part that was not changed causing windows setup not to run. I'm now assuming I'll probably have to replace the MB.
Yes it is a retail legal copy. origially I had a problem with that drive and tried to do a repair like I have in the past and things got messed up. Update: I took out some memory and got windows to load ok. Seems there is some bad memory. Now I tried to Do a repair from the CD , the original drive , the one with all my programs on it. It loads the windows setup files and then gives the error screen that says run Chkdisk /f to check the drive for errors.. How do check or repair the hard drive I've been using for the last 2years , It has all my stuff I'm trying to save. Right now that's the problem I need help with. Thank you
O.K.
Do you have the technical ability to hook up the drive that has all of your data on it as a slave drive on a working machine?
If so please spend the time to send all of your important data to a DVD (CDs will take too long and use too many disc).
This drive is going bad. Right now it may have just gotten hot, but it is going.
You will need a good (new) drive to reload windows XP, than restore your data from the DVDs that you made.
Please read this article from Microsoft.
I managed to repair everything without starting all over. I forget the microsft knowledge base number , but there was one that said to hit the R key when booting to the CD and then typed in some lines to replace some regitry files . Now everything seems to be working fine. Thanks for the replys.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI