Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

WININET.dll errors | Can't run most stuff

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Boka4444

Boka4444

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:05 PM

I've used you guys once before, a long while ago. You were helpful then, so I'm hoping you can be again. I have a Windows 7 x64 OS. Last night, I allowed Windows Update to download & install some updates. I postponed the restart as I was in the middle of doing some stuff. The computer then gave me a BSOD (which I get off and on from my Adata SSD HD). I always get back to desktop & running every time. Last night was different. Upon rebootng back to desktop, it comes up with this error : "The procedure entry point AppCacheCloseHandle could not be located in the dynamic link library wininet.dll.". Meanwhile, the system is screwed up because of this. I have an internet connection and can browse the web via Firefox. That dialog error box keeps popping up. It lists various programs in the header assiciated w/ this error; hpqdirec.exe; apsdaemon.exe; jusched.exe; avastui.exe; adobearm.exe; hpqtra08.exe I CANNOT get Internet Explorer to run (I don't use this browser, but it is installed). Avast doesn't start-up like it always does. I can't watch .mkv files, but mp4's work only in Windows Media Player (VLC, GOM, & Windows Home Cinema do NOT work) (mp3's also work). When in Firefox I cannot download anything as it says "Blocked by your security zone policy -- microsoft.com" I've ran sfc scannow & chkdsk. Scannow found some errors & fixed, but also said some were not. Chkdsk was fine. I posted it here because I don't think this is a virus. What do you think? Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:29 PM

Wininet.dll errors are caused by situations that lead to the removal or corruption of the wininet DLL files. Sounds like file corruption, but check recycle bin just in case of any accidental removal.

I would first try a system restore to a previous point before the Windows update.

Edited by Lee, 27 April 2013 - 06:30 PM.

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#3 Boka4444

Boka4444

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:38 PM

From what I read, I gathered that much, but I don't know how they would have gotten corrupted. I guess during the BSOD. I have no system restore point. I've already tried that route. :((( I also tried using my Windows 7 disc to do a repair and I was unsuccessful. There has to be a solution other than re-format, try again...

Edited by Boka4444, 27 April 2013 - 06:42 PM.

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:39 PM

Run System File Checker (SFC) from the Recovery Console
  • Boot your Windows 7 installation DVD
  • When you see "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD", press Enter
  • At the "Install Windows" screen, click on Repair your computer at lower left
  • At the System Recovery Options screen, make note of the drive letter assigned to your boot drive (normally C:) and click Next
  • At the Chose a Recovery Tool window, click on Command Prompt. You will be sitting at X:\Sources directory
  • Run SFC
  • If you did not note the drive letter of your boot disk, you can enter bcdedit and look at the osdevice line to see what it is.
  • For sfc, type sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows and press Enter (use the letter from above)
Let it run to completion undisturbed.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#5 Boka4444

Boka4444

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:11 PM

I appreciate the fast reply! Like I stated earlier, I had tried to use tools from Windows 7 disc, but it didn't work. Nevertheless, I followed what you wrote exactly. Here are the results : Set the PC to boot from CD. Got into the Windows 7 installation and chose Repair option (lower left). It listed my drive as 60gb on letter 'E'. That is not correct. It is actually letter drive 'C'. I had no mouse control, but I used the keyboard to highlight that drive. There was no option to change the drive from 'E' to 'C'. Making sure System Recovery was checked, I clicked next and got the following dialog error "This version of system recovery option is not compatible w/ the version of windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible w/ this version of windows". I looked at the disc. Says "Cyber Power PC - Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit only" What to do now?

#6 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:30 PM

You can download a legal copy with SP1 integrated from here:

Windows 7 Direct Download Links

Make sure you get the same version you have, Home Premium, Pro or Ultimate and 32 or 64 bit. Note that Basic or Starter is not available.

I recommend using ImgBurn at 4X speed (or the slowest available) to create the DVD from the downloaded .iso file.

You can do this on any computer capable of burning a DVD.

You can also create a bootable USB Flash drive (4GB or larger) to install Windows 7 from.
  • Download and run Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3
  • Select Windows 7 from the first drop down list, all the way to the bottom
  • Select the downloaded Windows 7 iso file
  • Select your USB flash drive
  • Click Create
For techies or folks who work on computers: Create Windows 7 Universal ISO With All Editions Selection On Install with ei.cfg Removal Utility.
This will fit on a 6GB flash drive or can be burned to a DVD.

Once you have this, try running SFC again.

By the way, it's normal for you r boot drive to show as other than C: when using the install disc. That's why the "make note of the drive letter assigned to your boot drive" is in the directions I gave you.

Edited by Ztruker, 27 April 2013 - 08:31 PM.

Rich

#7 Boka4444

Boka4444

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:48 PM

I can't download anything on this computer. I could download it on my laptop, but I don't have a USB large enough to hold the 3.1gb .iso file. This may take me a couple days to sort out. I'm seriously considering dumping my Adata S511 (& it's frequent BSODs) & getting either a OCZ or Samsung 120gb and reinstall. Either that, or reformat this current SSD, update the firmware and hope it gets rid of the BSOD's that plague this SSD.

#8 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:38 PM

There is new firmware available for this drive.

ADATA S511 Solid State Drive Firmware 5.0.7a (2nd April 2013)

Make sure you use ADATA support for a firmware upgrade guide and set a system restore point before installing.

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#9 Boka4444

Boka4444

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:00 AM

There is new firmware available for this drive.

ADATA S511 Solid State Drive Firmware 5.0.7a (2nd April 2013)

Make sure you use ADATA support for a firmware upgrade guide and set a system restore point before installing.

I never installed the older firmware because I would have needed to reformat the drive and I was too lazy to do so, even though I got intermittent BSODs because of the drive failures. An Adata rep said that because I have the drive partioned normally, the field update would not work without reformatting. He said somethng about there be only a very small partition (or none at all). I can't recall.

Maybe this new firmware can be done to my drive the way it is. Either way, I ain't do nothin until this WININET.DLL problem is fixed.

#10 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:58 PM

Can't you burn the DVD on the laptop?

Rich