Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91913 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

IP Repair/Refresh Issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 500watt

500watt

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:12 PM

I connect to the net via a wired DSL router, using the "auto detect" IP settings. Out of the blue (no new installs or setting changes) my connection refuses to assign an IP address, and will not renew the IP when the "repair" option is selected from Network Connections: Status: Support.
---------------------------
I updated the drivers for the Nvidia nForce Networking Controller.
----------------------------
I attempted to renew my IP via Run: CMD.
-Command Prompt: IPCONFIG /release
-Command Prompt:: IPCONFIG /renew
....per this post: http://answers.yahoo...06062457AA6YqFz

CMD gave me the error: "unable to connect to your DHCP server."
I ran the XP TCP/IP Repair 1 Program, which completed but had no visible effect.
available http://www.download....4-10410929.html
I then tried to set a manual IP address per this post's first reply: http://forums.whatth...ess_t28262.html

I realize this is a slightly different senerio. This actually appeared to work. My network connection now shows a normal connection, but my browsers (IE and Firefox) both give me the message that they are still offline.
The router and cables work fine with another computer, so that's not the issue. No problems shown in device manager. System is a Presario v6000 laptop running WinXP SP3.

I appreciate any ideas on how to get this beast back online.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Digerati

Digerati

Built, broke, fixed, learned.

• Tech Team
  • 3,645 posts
  • MVP

Posted 06 October 2008 - 05:36 AM

If you run ipconfig /all on both computers on your network, the information shown should be identical, except for the assigned IP, with should use the same first 3 octets, then the last numbers will be close, like 103 and 104. What are you getting?
kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gif Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

#3 Tallon41

Tallon41

Silver Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:Bible<br />Sci-fi <br />PC tech.

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:34 PM

...but my browsers (IE and Firefox) both give me the message that they are still offline.

what specifically ? If you really are "offline", click File---Work Online and that would get you online if you had previously took yourself "offline" by clicking File----Work Offline

Or instead is it unable to load page: "unable to reach server" or "Page not available"

Tallon41

[sometimes routers and modems experience periodic lock-up. I usually recommended a Power restart of the router when the DHCP server stops responding, though you may already have done this.]

Edited by Tallon41, 06 October 2008 - 01:35 PM.

#4 silverphoenix

silverphoenix

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 07:17 PM

hello 500watt,

i suppose you already did as what Tallon41 suggested to powercycle system?

sometimes routers and modems experience periodic lock-up. I usually recommended a Power restart of the router when the DHCP server stops responding, though you may already have done this.

also, have you checked your modem/router using another computer if it works?

I then tried to set a manual IP address per this post's first reply: http://forums.whatth...ess_t28262.html

what IP add did you use? who's your ISP? you need to input any of the valid IP addresses of your ISP for it to work(depends on your ISP).you may contact your ISP for valid IP address range.

with your system set to obtain IP and DNS automatically, what's the IP add? 169.xxx.xx.x? or 0.0.0.0?
pretty weird but i experienced with my computer giving 169.xxx.x.xxx ip and it's caused by norton antivirus.

by the way check this internet connectivity troubleshooter as well.

hope to hear from you again.

best of luck
~silverphoenix~

Edited by silverphoenix, 06 October 2008 - 07:19 PM.