This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

IP Repair/Refresh Issue

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I connect to the net via a wired DSL router, using the "auto detect" IP settings. Out of the blue (no new installs or setting changes) my connection refuses to assign an IP address, and will not renew the IP when the "repair" option is selected from Network Connections: Status: Support.
—————————
I updated the drivers for the Nvidia nForce Networking Controller.
—————————-
I attempted to renew my IP via Run: CMD.
-Command Prompt: IPCONFIG /release
-Command Prompt:: IPCONFIG /renew
….per this post: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi…06062457AA6YqFz

CMD gave me the error: "unable to connect to your DHCP server."
—————————-
I ran the XP TCP/IP Repair 1 Program, which completed but had no visible effect.
available http://www.download.com/XP-TCP-IP-Repair/3…4-10410929.html
—————————-
I then tried to set a manual IP address per this post's first reply: http://forums.whatthetech.com/Computer_Won…ess_t28262.html

I realize this is a slightly different senerio. This actually appeared to work. My network connection now shows a normal connection, but my browsers (IE and Firefox) both give me the message that they are still offline.
—————————-
The router and cables work fine with another computer, so that's not the issue. No problems shown in device manager. System is a Presario v6000 laptop running WinXP SP3.

I appreciate any ideas on how to get this beast back online.
If you run ipconfig /all on both computers on your network, the information shown should be identical, except for the assigned IP, with should use the same first 3 octets, then the last numbers will be close, like 103 and 104. What are you getting?

…but my browsers (IE and Firefox) both give me the message that they are still offline.


what specifically ? If you really are "offline", click File—Work Online and that would get you online if you had previously took yourself "offline" by clicking File—-Work Offline

Or instead is it unable to load page: "unable to reach server" or "Page not available"

Tallon41

[sometimes routers and modems experience periodic lock-up. I usually recommended a Power restart of the router when the DHCP server stops responding, though you may already have done this.]
hello 500watt,

i suppose you already did as what Tallon41 suggested to powercycle system?

sometimes routers and modems experience periodic lock-up. I usually recommended a Power restart of the router when the DHCP server stops responding, though you may already have done this.

.

also, have you checked your modem/router using another computer if it works?

I then tried to set a manual IP address per this post's first reply: http://forums.whatthetech.com/Computer_Won…ess_t28262.html

what IP add did you use? who's your ISP? you need to input any of the valid IP addresses of your ISP for it to work(depends on your ISP).you may contact your ISP for valid IP address range.

with your system set to obtain IP and DNS automatically, what's the IP add? 169.xxx.xx.x? or 0.0.0.0?
pretty weird but i experienced with my computer giving 169.xxx.x.xxx ip and it's caused by norton antivirus.

by the way check this internet connectivity troubleshooter as well.

hope to hear from you again.

best of luck
~silverphoenix~

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI