This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

IP address will not renew

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have recently installed a new wireless router. It is a Belkin N wireless modem router. I was previously using the router supplied by my ISP, but it had very limited options. Before the new router, all 3 of my computers connected wirelessly to the network with no problem. Now, my 2 netbooks connect fine, but my desktop does not. When trying to connect it says "Limited or no connectivity…". When I click "repair" it says "Windows cannot finish repairing… Renewing your IP address" I have tried using a fixed IP. Doing this allows me to connect to my router. However, my ISP requires that I use a dynamic IP, so if I connect using a static IP I cannot access the internet. I have tried reinstalling my wireless adapter drivers (Edimax 7317UG). But this didn't have any effect. I also tried reinstalling windows, which I had been planning on doing anyway, but this also had no effect. Does anyone have any ideas?
Yes, it is a problem with the router. That is the only thing that has changed, and the only thing it can be. First, try a firmware update. If that doesn't solve the problem call Belkin and ask them what is up, or take it back to the store and get a different brand. If you wanted to you could use a static IP address. Your ISP has nothing to do with it. You just have to configure the static IP address properly. If you post the output of an ipconfig /all command on one of the working computers you can get the information you need to set a static IP address, DNS, and gateway.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI