This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Firewall Suggestion

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi there… I need some help determining if I have a firewall! The McAfee icon says "Personal Firewall Plus: Disabled", however I tried to download a free firewall (sunbelt) and it would not install because it said there was a firewall already in place. Here are my questions: 1) how can i tell if i have a firewall? 2) how can i tell if it is turned on/expired? 3) any recommendations for a firewall? 4) are the free ones okay, or should i really buy one? My apologies if this is not the correct forum to post this (if not…where should it go?) Thanks, Kristin
Hi kristin031204. This would be better in the Microsoft Windows forum, but here is okay as this should be pretty straight forward.

Open Control Panel and click on Security Center. Firewall should indicate ON
Click on the double down pointing arrows (Chevrons actually) to the right of Firewall
That will tell you what firewall program is active.
Hi Kristen,

As you have Windows OS you surely would have Windows Firewall active, but Ztruker has kindly advised you how to check this.

I have had ZoneAlarm Firewall for ages on my systems and can highly recommend it to you. If you were to download and install it, it will turn off Windows Firewall automatically.

Yes in my experience the free firewalls are fine. As stated, I have had the above on my computers for years with no untoward problems at all.

Kind regards,
Thank you both very much for your help!! The windows firewall was on, but i do not think my mcafee one is active any longer. I'll download the zone alarm tonight. Thanks again, Kristin
Hi Kristen,

Interested to know what Antivirus you are using, as you mention Mcafee? Are you running their prevention software? If so does it include a firewall?

I am not familiar with Mcafee, so please make sure you uninstall any firewall other than Windows Firewall before downloading and installing ZoneAlarm.

Avast Anitvirus runs very well with ZoneAlarm Firewall if you need a recommendation.

Keep us posted how you go.

kind regards,

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI