Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Firewall Suggestion

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kristin031204

kristin031204

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:44 PM

Hi there... I need some help determining if I have a firewall! The McAfee icon says "Personal Firewall Plus: Disabled", however I tried to download a free firewall (sunbelt) and it would not install because it said there was a firewall already in place. Here are my questions: 1) how can i tell if i have a firewall? 2) how can i tell if it is turned on/expired? 3) any recommendations for a firewall? 4) are the free ones okay, or should i really buy one? My apologies if this is not the correct forum to post this (if not...where should it go?) Thanks, Kristin

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 03 October 2008 - 08:00 PM

Hi kristin031204. This would be better in the Microsoft Windows forum, but here is okay as this should be pretty straight forward.

Open Control Panel and click on Security Center. Firewall should indicate ON
Click on the double down pointing arrows (Chevrons actually) to the right of Firewall
That will tell you what firewall program is active.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 09:25 PM

Hi Kristen,

As you have Windows OS you surely would have Windows Firewall active, but Ztruker has kindly advised you how to check this.

I have had ZoneAlarm Firewall for ages on my systems and can highly recommend it to you. If you were to download and install it, it will turn off Windows Firewall automatically.

Yes in my experience the free firewalls are fine. As stated, I have had the above on my computers for years with no untoward problems at all.

Kind regards,

#4 kristin031204

kristin031204

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 05:04 PM

Thank you both very much for your help!! The windows firewall was on, but i do not think my mcafee one is active any longer. I'll download the zone alarm tonight. Thanks again, Kristin

#5 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 05:25 PM

Hi Kristen,

Interested to know what Antivirus you are using, as you mention Mcafee? Are you running their prevention software? If so does it include a firewall?

I am not familiar with Mcafee, so please make sure you uninstall any firewall other than Windows Firewall before downloading and installing ZoneAlarm.

Avast Anitvirus runs very well with ZoneAlarm Firewall if you need a recommendation.

Keep us posted how you go.

kind regards,