This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Zonealarm, AVG, 2 Anitspam, and Wired question

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello again. This morning Zonealarm sends me an advertisement about Zonealarm Internet Suite. Now I have spyware, antivirus, and their basic free firewall. But the two things it mentioned that I don't have are ID Theft protection and their advanced firewall. When I go to their site to compare their products they are vague. I'm not sure what they mean by advanced firewall. Do they mean that it simply has more options in their firewall or does it mean by advanced that it has more protection against bad guys? Meaning better detection of bad guys trying to hack you. Also with AVG Antivirus I do have purchased the 7.5 version. But I have installed the free 7.5 I purchased it before I knew there was a free version. I heard about it from Kim Komando (komando.com) the radio talk show computer guru. Does the purchased version have more protection or does it simply have things like the ability to schedule scans. Stuff like that. Also recently I updated my Spybot Search and Destroy and Ad Aware. Now Spybot, when it comes up, says that it can detect that I have Ad Aware installed. It warns that Ad Aware can mistake some of Spybot's components for spyware. Which one should I uninstall? Spybot or Ad Aware? Finally, I have fully secured my WRT54GS version 5 Linksys wireless router. I only use it to have online access for both my computer and my xbox 360. I plan to for the future just have a wired router. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but do the same security issues apply to wired routers? Do you have to secure your wired router like you do with a wireless router? I know that since I have a Associates of Technology Degree and Help Desk Certificate that you guys have been encouraging me to research on my own more. But with my eyesight problems it's hard to do long time of reading. I hope this doesn't get me a warning, but it's important that you understand why doing heavy reading is hard. In 2005 I was diagnosed with vitrus and fibers pulling on my retina. Vitrous is the jelly stuff that gies all eyes it's round shape. Either when you get old or have multiple eye surgeries (like me) the vitrous can get attached to the retina. It can tear and detach it. I was born with only one eye. I have a partial detachment and a hole in the retina. Normally they can go in and repair the retina. But my eye isn't normally formed. Plus fibers are puling on the retina. Lots of traction. At this point surgery could result in full detachment. So they'd only do a surgery if I was fully detached. Otherwise why risk what might not happen. They don't know if it will detach or not. But sergury the chances are 50/50. I'm the sole person that takes care of the computer in my house. My folks can only do e-mail and internet. Yes with the current economy, places of work around here not having the necessary blind resources, and my situation being precarous it's hard to get work. Thankfully my father retired well and has investments. Wre fine financially. I tell you this so you understand though I'd love to research the above it's really straining for me. I always appreciate your incites and the informative help you guys do for donation and free. You do a great job. Please help me with the above. Thanks.
Hello, toruser. :) I'm sorry to hear about your situations, but the least I can do is answer your questions hope you live a good life. You have my support on the technical questions… although I'm not so familiar about the eye and how it works.

When did you purchase ZA Internet Suite? Here are two brief links about the benefits of ZA Internet Suite and a Comparison Chart.
http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/cat…=US&lang=en
http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/cat…/comparison.jsp

It seems to me that ZoneAlarm Security Suite is the most complete version of ZA you can get, I mean it's complete protection and it's loaded ^_^.
However, ZA IS does include a Advanced Firewall, Anti-Spam, and anti-ID Theft. ZA Pro seems to offer it too.

I just wanted to inform you that AVG 7.5 will no longer be supported as of August 31, 2008. Correct me if I'm wrong.
You can upgrade to AVG 8.0 as a latest (free), as it will offer both anti-virus and spyware protection.
As a general idea the difference between the basic and paid version is that one will offer more benefits and features. In AVG 8.0 (paid) it will offer active protection in your web browser which will actively defend you against malicious content. It also offers anti-rootkit protection, scheduled scanning, auto updates, and anti-spam.
http://www.grisoft.com/us.home-and-office-…rity-comparison
–
The reason you are receiving the prompt is because Spybot-SD is detecting AdAware on the computer. However, there will not be any conflicts. The explanation was that AdAware might detect something in Spybot that is malicious, which is not (Spybot's Quarantine). You can safely ignore it.

I've answered your questions in the best of my ability. I hope it's not too much for you to read.

As for the your router/modem, I'm not familiar with that subject. I hope another member can step up and answer it.

Safe surfing.

By a "Advanced" Firewall, ZA covers not only Internet Firewall (inbound and outbound) but also a firewall for your Operating System. It's another layer of protection for the system. In a way it's more like a HIPS (Hosts Intrusion Prevention System) so SmartAdvisor will prompt you if something seems suspicious.
When I went to download AVG 8.0 it sent me to download.com I clicked the specified link they gave to download the free version. It then went to a screen that said thank you for downloading AVG free 8.0. But no save as or open with box displayed. No drop down bar appeared where you could allow popups from the site. How do I correct this, or is thre another download vender I should try? Thanks. And I didn't purchase ZoneAlarm before. I simply downloaded their free firewall. I'll check the links you gave above. thx.
Thanks guys. And thank you for the link. I got AVG 8 installed now. Hope someone comes along to help answer the question about the wired router. Just for their conveience I'll put it again. Do wired routers have the same security issues that require you to secure them like wireless routers? And for the fela above don't worry I'm not sensitive about my sight. It's like any part of the body. Our bodies aren't perfect. The retina is the thing that allows your eye to take in light. Vitrus is what gives your eye the round shape. It's a jelly. Same reason why we have bones. So were not blobs of goo. So we can have our shape. Hope taht makes it clearer for you. Again I'm not sensitive. Heck I can joke about it too. I guess I and Lela on Futuroma have something in comon. We both look like a cyclopse. lol. Thanks again.
Hi toruser,

I am not familiar with wired routers, mine is a wireless router with a password which secures it from passers by.

However, here is a link for you to peruse about wired routers that may help you.

Keep us posted how you go so others can learn.

kind regards,

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI