This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

ctrl + F11 issues

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My suggestion is this:

  • Borrow/Buy Windows XP or Vista install CD (Not available from Dell) and install it on PC. (That should reset all Windows Drivers that may be corrupted)
  • If you have the driver disk from Dell, after you install Windows, go ahead and install from Dell Drivers CD.

NOTE: after installing Windows, your PC may be able to scan for hardware and download the drivers needed automatically.
Post if you want to try this and ill form a procedure for you to follow step by step. This option is good if you dont wanna reinstall att of the excess carp** that comes with PC's, like trial version software.

If you wanna help us a little more, use the "MISC TOOLS" section of Hijackthis and in the "Uninstall manager" , and do a "save log" and repost it here. Maybe we can clear some carp** in your PC. Something might be inhibiting the installation. I had a dell many moons ago, and occasionally if I tried to download a tool and had an older version or something was included in a update that had the same functionality, it wouldnt let me install or run the desired item until the other was disabled or uninstalled.
Im not sure if I understand what I need to do exactly, but it sounds like I should install Windows first, correct? After I install Windows, I should install the following files I downloaded from the Dell website after entering my service tag number. Correct? Im assuming these are the "drivers" you are referring to. Application: Dell Driver Reset Tool Application: Sonic Solutions Record Now 7.0 Audio: Analog Devices ADI 198x BIOS: Dell Dimension System BIOS A03 Removable Storage: Philips DVD8631 HH 16X DVD +/-RW Chip Set: Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility v.5.0 Communications: Intel 537E, v.9X, PCI Modem v.2.28 Communications: Intel 537E, v.9x, PCI Modem v.2.15 Communications: Intel 537E, v.9x, PCI Modem v.2.0 Communications: Intel 537E, v.9x, PCI Modem v.1.12 Diagnostics: Dell 32 Bit Diagnostics GUI Version Network: Intel ® PRO/100 VE Network Connection v.8.4 Network: Intel ® PRO/100 VE Network Connection v.7.1 System Utilities: Dell Desktop System Software Video: Intel 82865G Graphics Controller If my assumptions are correct, I will let you know the results as soon as I get the Windows disk from Dell. If I am mistaken, please let me know. Thanks.
The BIOS, or Basic Input Output System, is a part of your computer. It's software that's stored within flash memory chip on your computer's motherboard. (Flash memory is normally read-only, but can be reprogrammed with appropriate tools.) Windows, Linux … or no operating system at all, your BIOS is there as soon as you turn on the machine. The BIOS should remain intact unless your flash is damaged. in which case, your PC probably wouldnt be operational. But your list looks right. Dont forget the Windows update patches. Lemme know how it goes.


Here's a link to do a "Clean XP install" http://www.theeldergeek.com/clean_installa…_windows_xp.htm

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI