This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

xp keeps rebooting

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, When I start my computer it will go upto the windows logo and then switch itself off. I can press f2 or f11 but do not know what to do when I get on the screens. I have been trying to press f8 but cannot get onto recovery mode. I bought the computer with XP on it and I only have 2 recovery discs. Puppy
Hi, Sorry to hear of the problems with your computer. The first step would be to try and boot your computer into "safe mode" and on the menu select "last good configuration" and see if that helps. If you need detailed instructions on how to get to safe mode, please post back Regards paws
hi, I have been trying to get onto the recovery screen (safe mode) by pressing F8. I can get f2 & f11 as the computer starts to load but it will not go in to safe mode by pressing f8. I have just had my software sorted out by LT on this forum you can see what I did under my user name. I don't know if this coased the problem as it seemed to be working in good order after spyware was sorted out. Regards Tony
Hi Tony, There are a number of ways of getting to safe mode, try this, but first read it through to the end: 1 Close down your computer and wait 30 seconds after the screen goes totally blank 2 Restart your computer; immediately after the BIOS loads but before Windows starts to load, start tapping F8 3 You should tap F8 once per second until you get up a menu on a black screen 4 Select "Last good configuration" from the menu Note if when you commence tapping F8 you receive a "keyboard error" then you will need to retry but commence tapping the F8 key one second later on your next restart, if you find that system boots into "normal mode then your timing is not quite right, start tapping the F8 key one second earlier on your next restart. Some folks find it easy, others need several attempts before they get the timing right. Regards paws
hello Sorry I had to go away. I have tried and tried to get it in safe mode. It happend on startup but woul not let me navigate the key,s and then after the countdown it went back into the start up loop again? Puppy

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI