Software
computer won't boot - Help!
12 min read
Rhendrickx
Topic Starter
Booting prolem. When I turned the computer on this morning, the screen got stuck on Norton Go Back - asking me to press the space bar for details. Pressing the space bar did nothing. After waiting several minutes (like 10). I pressed the power button to shut it down. I pressed the power back on, I get the opening black Dell screen, then the message to Stike the f1 key to reboot or F2 for Setup. Sriking F1 just reprints the same message. Control Alt Delete will start the reboot but it gets stuck on the same "Stike the F1"message.
what can I do?
Rhendrickx
Doug
Are you able to use F8 key at boot time to get to your Boot Option Menu?
If so, you should see various boot options, including:
Boot to "Last Known Good Configuration"
Give that a try.
You should alternatively be able to Boot to SAFE Mode
If booted successfully to SAFE Mode, consider turning off Norton Go Back.
Then instead of Rebooting/ReStarting your machine, Completely turn it off and unplug the power cord for 5 minutes.
Plug power cord back in and attempt to boot.
Norton Go Back has been widely criticized for creating similar problems with Booting Windows.
There are a multitude of "Norton-Specific" solutions to attempt.
Of course, it is possible that your machine's problem is not related to Norton Go Back.
Possibly needing to Reset Bios to Default Settings
Possibly faulty RAM
Let us know how it goes for you with the first two suggestions above.
We can proceed from there if necessary.
Best Regards
If so, you should see various boot options, including:
Boot to "Last Known Good Configuration"
Give that a try.
You should alternatively be able to Boot to SAFE Mode
If booted successfully to SAFE Mode, consider turning off Norton Go Back.
Then instead of Rebooting/ReStarting your machine, Completely turn it off and unplug the power cord for 5 minutes.
Plug power cord back in and attempt to boot.
Norton Go Back has been widely criticized for creating similar problems with Booting Windows.
There are a multitude of "Norton-Specific" solutions to attempt.
Of course, it is possible that your machine's problem is not related to Norton Go Back.
Possibly needing to Reset Bios to Default Settings
Possibly faulty RAM
Let us know how it goes for you with the first two suggestions above.
We can proceed from there if necessary.
Best Regards
Rhendrickx
I shut it off and watied several minutes before turning it back on - similar result. I did get an 8602 error stating I have a keyboard failure. I tried another keyboard - no change. I don't get that keyboard error every time I try to reboot. Is it possible that the card or whatever that the keyboard plugs into is shot?
I cannot get it to boot in safe mode - at least not by repeatedly pressing F8 during the start up - is there another way to force it into safe mode? Pressing F2 does get me into the setup utility. What next?
I cannot get it to boot in safe mode - at least not by repeatedly pressing F8 during the start up - is there another way to force it into safe mode? Pressing F2 does get me into the setup utility. What next?
Rhendrickx
I am getting the sinking feeling that I will need to use the windows XP reinstall disc. If this is true, is there any way to save the info on my hard drive? Anybody out there have any thoughts? Please?
Doug
Do you have a second functional machine?
If so, perhaps the easiest method for retrieving saved information would be to install the hard drive from this problematic machine, into a functional one, and use Copy/Paste function from My Computer or Windows Explorer.
The difficulty may be in providing a "destination" to save your retrieved information.
A second machine would be easiest.
It is also "possible" to boot a dysfunctional Windows machine using a Linux OS.
For instance Bart PE
or UBCD http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
It is quite possible to run your machine from a Bootable CD such as the above, and even be able to save documents and files to CD/DVD burner if you have such on the machine.
Doug
If so, perhaps the easiest method for retrieving saved information would be to install the hard drive from this problematic machine, into a functional one, and use Copy/Paste function from My Computer or Windows Explorer.
The difficulty may be in providing a "destination" to save your retrieved information.
A second machine would be easiest.
It is also "possible" to boot a dysfunctional Windows machine using a Linux OS.
For instance Bart PE
or UBCD http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
It is quite possible to run your machine from a Bootable CD such as the above, and even be able to save documents and files to CD/DVD burner if you have such on the machine.
Doug
Rhendrickx
Is it possible that I could create a windows xp startup disc - then gain access to the "last good configuration" or at least try to save the data as you suggested above? On another site the directions for creating a Windows xp startup disc on a similarly formated computer say to copy the following files to a cd: boot.ini; NTLDR; and NTdetect.com -but it doesn't tell me where to get those files from? Other sites said that after formating, a window would appear and I could just click on the box that said "creat a boot disc"- these options don't work as my cd are pre-formated.
As far as other computers, I have a laptop. I might be able to try it on one of my computers at work - but if I messed those up I'd be in big trouble.
Crow
What happens when you exit setup after pressing f2…? If it continues to loop, having you press either f1 or 2, that could be one or more of these issues..1: The harddrive cable has come loose. 2: you need to replace the CMOS battery, or..3: you have controller thats bad. A battery is cheap, and simple. A controller means either a new motherboard, or a different connection for your keyboard (i.e if your using a ps2 keyboard, use a USB keyboard..)
I mean, its possible you need to run goback. Thats a restore program (to the best of my knowledge). It could be that the harddrive is simply dead (you should expect one to last about 5 years + or - a little). If nothing above solves the issue, then when you boot up, listen (or feel) for the harddrive to spinup…Then go into BIOS (setup) and look at the IDE/SATA controllers setting and see if lists your harddrive. then post back with the results.
Rhendrickx
I just realized that during the Dell startup screen, I can press F12 to get to the boot menu. My options there are: 1. Normal, 2 Diskett drive, 3. IDE CD-rom Device, 4 System setup, 5. IDE Drive Diagnostics, 6. Boot to utility particion. Will any of these options help - assuming I can actually get to them?
As for your notes above, If I press F1 - it does not reboot. If I Press F2, I get to the setup screen - when I hit exit, it bring me back to the "Press F1 for reboot, F2 for setup utility" - but it doesn't conitinually "Loop" on its own. I don't think I can get to Go Back. I can hear something running in there - perhaps a fan? I am not sure.
Rhendrickx
just for the heck of it, I Hit door number 5 = IDE Drive diagnostics; I got the following response
Primary IDE -
drive 0 WDC WD600BB - 75CAA) - Pass
Drive 1: No IDE device
Secondary IDE
Drive 0: HL-DT-ST-GCE-8481B - Diagnostic not supported
Drive 1: No IDE device
test complete, press enter to reboot
I have no idea what IDE stands for or what any of these means or if it help with the overall diaagnosis.
Crow
IDE = Integrated Drive Electronics…
Ok so your drive is there and ok… Do this.. Boot and press f12 for the boot menu, choose 1 Normal. If that just brings you back to the same "press f1 or2"… then reboot and choose f2. In setup, find your boot order and make sure that your harddrive in enabled. Save and exit… reboot and repost
Jkc73
Hi Rhendrickx
Lets see if we can't find a solution to your problem,
This will need your co-operation via keyboard and mouse, and also to view the monitor and listen to the speakers to test mostly all the devices, if you have a microphone or a cam, those too.
Good Luck
Post your findings back in this thread, so we can help some more.
Jkc73
Lets see if we can't find a solution to your problem,
Let's find out,Is it possible that the card or whatever that the keyboard plugs into is shot?
Go to Utility Partition, this is a built in Device and Driver Diagnostics Tool, choose the most extensive test available.I just realized that during the Dell startup screen, I can press F12 to get to the boot menu. My options there are: 1. Normal, 2 Diskett drive, 3. IDE CD-rom Device, 4 System setup, 5. IDE Drive Diagnostics, 6. Boot to utility particion. Will any of these options help - assuming I can actually get to them?
This will need your co-operation via keyboard and mouse, and also to view the monitor and listen to the speakers to test mostly all the devices, if you have a microphone or a cam, those too.
Good Luck
Post your findings back in this thread, so we can help some more.
Jkc73
Rhendrickx
no good. Choosing option 6, "boot to utility partition" isn't working, it brings me back to "Strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility.
As to Crow's suggestion above, when I hit F2 then choose the "Boot Sequence" the window that opens has all 3 options checked but it says the Hard disk drive is not installed. the 3 options include: 1. diskett Drive, 2 Hard disk drive (not installed) and 3. IDE Cd-Rom device.
Jkc73
Ok you will need to go to System Setup (Option 4)
It appears that your system is not recognizing your Hard Disk Drive, or your Hard Disk Drive has no data on it.( No Operating System )
If you are able, please post some more details about your machine, like Model, make, and what ever else you think could be relevant.( No personals, serial nos, or Microsoft Codes )
Jkc73
It appears that your system is not recognizing your Hard Disk Drive, or your Hard Disk Drive has no data on it.( No Operating System )
I can see from your earlier post that your Drive tested ok, this doesn't mean that it is setup or even has an OS on it.all 3 options checked but it says the Hard disk drive is not installed.
If you are able, please post some more details about your machine, like Model, make, and what ever else you think could be relevant.( No personals, serial nos, or Microsoft Codes )
Jkc73
Rhendrickx
It's a few years old, a Dell Demension 4550 with a Pentium 4 2.40 ghz processor. It has 1 gb of ddram. the setup screen reads BIOS version A02. It should have or at least had Windows XP. it has a regular cd drive, and a Plextor cd/dvd burner, and a 3.5 in floppy drive. has Microsoft office on it. connected to internet via cable. I use Outlook express for email. Info from the Setup screen reveals the following:
Pimary drive 0 = hard drive
Primary drive 1 = off
Secondary drive 0 = cd -rom reader
secondary drive 1 = off
I also have an NVidia vga graphics card. Not really sure what else you want to know?
Jkc73
Rhendrickx
Do you have your Owners Manual, and are you aware of the Diagnostic Lights.
If not they can be found at the rear of your machine above the 2 USB Ports here is a link for you to look at.
Here is a problem solving page for your machine.
And this is a list of codes for the Diagnostic Lights
Post back and let us know how you went, Good Luck
Jkc73
Do you have your Owners Manual, and are you aware of the Diagnostic Lights.
If not they can be found at the rear of your machine above the 2 USB Ports here is a link for you to look at.
Here is a problem solving page for your machine.
And this is a list of codes for the Diagnostic Lights
Post back and let us know how you went, Good Luck
Jkc73
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI