This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

Microsoft Start Up Menu

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

When I hold down the ctrl key on starting Windows, it doesn`t go to Microsoft start up menu, it just boots up as normal. When I press the restart button during boot up, after it restarts and I press the ctrl key—-BINGO…I get the aforesaid menu with the warning that Windows didn`t finish loading on the previous attempt.Choose Safe mode to to start Windows with a minimal set of drivers. Why isn`t this happening after a good shutdown when I try to access this menu? The reason I like to get the menu, is to use the command prompt to run Scandisk or Scanreg/fix etc. Regards MICK79
Restarting in Safe Mode

» On Windows 95

Restart your computer.
Press F8 at the Starting Windows 95 message.
Choose Safe Mode from the Windows 95 Startup Menu then press Enter.


» On Windows 98 and ME

Restart your computer in Safe Mode.

Press the F8 key until the startup menu appears.

Choose the Safe Mode option then press Enter.


» On Windows NT (VGA mode)

Click Start>Settings>Control Panel.
Double-click the System icon.
Click the Startup/Shutdown tab.
Set the Show List field to 10 seconds and click OK to save this change.
Shut down and restart your computer.
Select VGA mode from the startup menu.


» On Windows 2000

Restart your computer.

Press the F8 key, when you see the Starting Windows bar at the bottom of the screen.

Choose the Safe Mode option from the Windows Advanced Options Menu then press Enter.


» On Windows XP

Restart your computer in Safe Mode.

Press F8 after the Power-On Self Test (POST) is done. If the Windows Advanced Options Menu does not appear, try restarting and then pressing F8 several times after the POST screen.
Choose the Safe Mode option from the Windows Advanced Options Menu then press Enter.