Problem sharing external USB drive
9 min read
It is listening on TCP port 139.
The "everyone" group is present with full rights.
PC1 had "simple file sharing" unchecked but PC2 had it checked. They are both now unchecked.
"Allow users to connect" was checked but is now unchecked.
Problem is still with us.
you would need to reboot after the "remote desktop" change…though you may have.
To clarify, when you added the IRPStackSize key and set the value to 14 (20 decimal,) did you reboot afterwards ? that is required.
Try that first. It will go to 50, you can bump it 5 at a time, (higher than it needs to be will waste resources.)
click start–run, then type "control userpasswords2" (no quotes, then press [enter] )
when the "User Accounts" window opens, near the top, un-check the "password is required" checkbox.
and apply.
[a new window may open asking what user account you wish to log into automatically. ["administrator" will be filled in as username]
enter YOUR user account name and, leave the password fields blank (unless you DO have one, in which case enter it.) ]
Tallon41
Your very welcome, glad we could help ! I'd leave it where it is for now. If you run into it again, you'll know what to do….Success! Thank you so much for your help.
I went back to trying the IRPStackSize key with a reboot at each change. It does not work at 20 but does at 25 where I now have it set. Should I set it at 30 to have some margin?
Well, if you "added" a second Volume reference to that drive, (option #1 in post 11 of this thread,) then you can simply delete the folder.I had mounted the USB drive inside an NTFS folder. This folder is no longer needed but how do I safely remove it?
If you used Option #2 on that post, then you will need to go back to "computer managment", "disk management" and "change drive letter and paths" and "remove" the existing volume reference and "add" a new drive letter. [Note: a Volume reference "removed" cannot subsequently be reused, (even though just made "available", ) until after a reboot.
Tallon41
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI