This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows 7 and Windoiws 10 file sharing issues

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I am trying to share my documents folder between 2 computers. So far I have established a connection between the two computers by having the first computer connected to a Wi-Fi internet connection and I have bridged the second computer through my Ethernet local area connection. I have created a bridge because, for right now, I do not have a router. Everything looks right, and I am able to surf the internet on both computers. However, I am not able to connect to my shared folders. There are two things that I see why this is happening. The first one being, while trying to give the Network computer privallages to share the folder, Windows reports that it cannot find that network name. Secondly, the OK button is disabled when mapping the network dive to a drive letter.

 

I have tried several things, with no luck. First and foremost, I turned on file and printing sharing on both computers. Secondly, I have followed instructions from a video I have found that states there are 4 services, which I cannot remember their names, in which need to be running in order for file sharing to work. So with these 2 things I did as well as tried mapping a dive to the network, the furthest I got to was being able to see the both computer names in file explorer. However, after double clicking on the network, file explorer displays "this folder is empty." Also, I forgot to mention, that I am able to ping the network IP address with no packets lost???? This is really strange. How is it possible that the network is discoverable in some areas, but not all of them? What am I doing wrong?

 

 

…the first computer connected to a Wi-Fi internet connection and I have bridged the second computer through my Ethernet local area connection

 

I'm confused how these computers are connected without a router. Do you have an ethernet cable connected between the ethernet ports, without a router? If that's the case, you'll need a special ethernet cable called a crossover cable.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI