Hello, What the Tech techies.
I consider myself to be a very capable user of Windows XP. I'm a little familiar with the device manager, and I see no problems there. I still have no sound after updating all Realtek/ Creative soundcard/ Asus MOBO drivers. I did some searching to see if my problem had arisen elsewhere but invariably the problem was solved within device manager or by updating drivers. I'm very frustrated because I've always been good at fixing my own problems in the PC world, and I just got a new $80 headset (for $35) and I was only JUST breaking it in.
I'd be more than willing to provide additional system specs or a HiJackThis log file.
I lost sound immediately after a program I know to be prone to crashing crashed, when, for the first time, it restarted after crashing. I allowed Windows to boot as normal and never got another peep out of it. I've tested my speakers/headset on other equipment to verify that IT, at least, works.
I'm not very clear on what a .dll file is, or does, but for some reason a part of me says maybe I could have overwritten one with one of my driver packages trying to fix the error but ended up hurting myself. That's just my idea because I'm all OUT of ideas.
EDIT: I have experienced semi-recent failure of Skype to accept my microphone from my webcam, though that may be the fault of the webcam. I haven't been able to get Windows to hear my voice. I did once, about a year ago, and used Skype a lot, then things started going wrong. For a while (before I got my sound card) I had to have something plugged into the front-side sound to get back-side sound. I never really bothered to fix that; I figured the sound card would fix that.
Looking forward to your reply of "well it's _____ you dummy!" if only because it means it's an easy fix,
Dave
I was using Snes9x with a buggy ROM. It crashed, I restarted, I played on. This repeated several times. One time it crashed and the PC restarted. I had no sound, did a quick google search, google said y'all said "update drivers". No solution. I just tried system restore and got a wonderous, wonderous logon noise. I'm back in business, but kicking myself for not remembering it myself. Thanks so much
Dave
Excellent that you have your sound back. You asked about .dll files?
I'm not very clear on what a .dll file is
Would be a good idea if you ran the following scan to make sure all your .dll files are in the correct position.
Windows Protected System File Checker SFC
Start
Run
type:sfc /scannow (note the space between c /)
Have your Win XP installation disc handy as if damaged files are found they will need to be copied across from your disc, if SFC can't find correct copies elsewhere.
Windows XP Installation disc not available or wrong Service Pack - SP1 when SP2/SP3 is needed
There are work- arounds to this problem but the easiest, by far is to borrow one and use that. It is perfectly OK to do this, for the purposes of running SFC,and if you ask around all your friends, you are likely to find someone who will be able to help you out.
________________
SFC no disc, no friends able to help.
Well you will need to do it the harder way and as a registry edit will be required it is essential that you back up your registry before you do anything else. Then in the event of trouble it will be easier to repair your registry. Download ERUNT from here: (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html) and take a moment to familiarise yourself with the programme and how to repair your registry with it if it should become necessary. At the same time it would be wise to create a System Restore point, post back here if you need instructions on how to do this.
For the alterations needed to run SFC If you go here (http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html) you will find detailed instructions on the copying of files and the system changes you need to make. When you have followed all the instructions, reboot you machine and try to run SFC again, and please let us know how you go.
______________
Keep us posted and do not hesitate to ask for more help.
kind regards,
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI