This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Lousy Soundcard >=(

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I fix computers for a little extra cash on my days off, try to make a little extra spending cash. I've gotten someones computer, and I've got it back into pretty much pristine condition. Cleared all the recurring malware and it's host programs, cleaned out the registry, and put him firmly back in controll of his internet explorer. Theres only one problem left – he has no sound. I've played with all the settings, reinstalled the drivers, and reinstalled the entire device itself. The computer recognises that it exsists, it just refuses to recognise that it should be making sounds. The guy who im fixing it for said that his kid "did something" to it and it just stopped working. Thats as specific as he could get on that subject. Heres the top portion of my HJL Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 2:38:12 PM, on 4/20/2006 Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180) The laptop is a Gateway DS 400SP Plus (400VTX?) The soundcard identifies itself as a Realtek AC97. Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Realtek AC97

a onboard audio chipset.

reinstalled the entire device itself.

a pci sound card.

enable the onboard audio in the BIOS, or disable it and get the drivers for the sound card itself
Two other things to consider: Check the Sound Controller in the task bar near date/clock. Sometimes that gets set to Mute. Consider reinstalling the Chipset Drivers for the MotherBoard. It's close to remarkable, what doesn't work if the Chipset Drivers are corrupt or need updating. Best Regards
When I said uninstalled the device, I ment I uninstalled it via the device manager. It's definately onboard audio. Alright, messed around in my BIOS and couldn't find where to activate the onboard chipset. The BIOS is a PhoenixBIOS, so if yer familiar with that, give me a hand. I tried reinstalled the chipset drivers, but it just kinda laughed at me. It wouldn't go past 30%. Ugh, I hate hardware problems.
Not much help there with the limited information "PheonixBios"…. What version and build.
For instance on this PIII machine running Win98 I have Pheonix Bios version 4 Build 6… It's ancient circa 1997..1999.

In BIOS you will probably find an "Advanced" tab. Click on it.
On the advanced screen you will likely see a list of elements including

IDE
Peripherals
Video
Audio

Click on Audio
It will have a few options that can be toggled through using the + and - keys.
See what options you have. Try them out. You can always return them to their previous setting.

If you find a solution in the above, then good job. Mission accomplished.
If not, we'll need some additional information to track this down.

Please consider running the PCPitstop Full Test at:
http://www.pcpitstop.com

Run the Full test and post your results back here for information and problem-solving purposes.

At PCPitstop, you'll have to register with a valid email address and select a password.
When you first run the Full Test, you'll be required to accept an ActiveX component.
It's safe and simply enables the test to be run on your machine.

Best Regards
if you have onboard audio the ability to disable it has to be somewhere in the bios. i would poke around in there somemore

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI