Well it all started after that dreaded hurricane went through. My computer at first went up to the blue screen of death, error C0000218. So I did the normal proceedure when I put in my boot disk and run the repair program screen and used chkdsk /p at first then used chkdsk /r. That fixed it but now when the computer boots up, it goes past the first Windows XP screen which is a black screen and it's loading. It gets finished then it goes the blue Microsoft Windows XP screen and this is the blue screen when you pick which server you want to log into but the servers do not show up, and just stays at this screen and doesn't load at all. However, I can move the cursor around, but the screen doesn't load up. I really don't want to do a full reboot. Can anyone give me some additionial tips before it gets to that step? Thank you!! ^^
Well it used to be an error C0000218 after it was powered off by the hurricane. But I fixed it, and it doesn't do that anymore. However, when I start it up now it goes the the windows xp starting screen where you pick your server to log onto, but it doesn't show the server names. It just says there. My cursor isn't frozen either. Sorry, but I that's all I have really. There are no error messages now.
Is this a work system and do you login to a domain? If not then what do you mean when you say "login to a server"? Do you mean where you normally pick the account you want to login to XP with?
What happens if you boot to Safe Mode? Does it boot up there? If it's the same, boot to Safe Mode again but this time login as Administrator (no password), see if that works.
I'm sorry, let me clear that up better. You know as an administrator you can make indiviual accounts. Well no this is not a business but a family computer. Like even before you reach the desktop you have to sign in to your own account. So is right after you turn on your computer and before you got onto your desktop. You see, pretty much this blue windows XP screen would not even be there if there weren't any accounts, I'd just go straight to the desktop. Does that make any sense?
Sorry to hear that. One last thing to try. Boot to the Safe Mode selection screen and select Last known configuration that worked, see if that helps, as it will restore the registry to the last time your computer booted successfully.
Wait another question. When I did this a box came up and said (WIndows) - Registry Recovery…One of the files contanting the system's Registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was succesful, however same problem.