I restarted our desktop which runs on Windos XP and a blue screen came up saying the following:
Run CHKDSK /F
How am I to do this when I am unable to get out of the blue screen. Any help would be very much appreciated Thank you
Sarah
Hi Sarah,
Sorry to hear about the Blue screen problem with your computer.
Sometimes these errors are easy to fix, whilst othertimes they can be very difficult…
If you can't boot into Windows normally then try it from safe mode
Power on computer and immediately after you press the power on button start tapping F8 once per second until the Advanced menu (in Black) appears then select safe mode
If this works then you can go to:
Start>Computer>Right click on your drive C:>Properties>Tools>Check now> put a tick/checkmark against the 2 next boxes and click start> you will receive a notice about "exclusive use" "do you want to ..on next reboot…etc">click Yes and close down your computer (full close down not a sleep/hibernate) wait 2 minutes then restart your computer chkdsk will then run, do not interrupt (may take several hours)
It will then reboot your computer after it has effected all the repairs it can.
Thank you paws. I will have to try option two as my computer will not start up in safemode. If I do option two, will I lose stuff on my computer? Thank you again, Sarah
Hi Sarah,
No
running chkdsk should not lose your stuff, but if your hard drive has failed or is failing then your data is in grave danger unless your back up is good… is it good? complete, accurate, reproducible etc. ? and with at least one copy kept safe offsite on removable media?
Post back before doing anything further if you are not totally happy with your present back up and we can offer some assistance to perhaps help with it.
Did you include the space in the command
ie
chkdsk /f
and then press enter key?
You can try the command also as follows
chkdsk c /f
and also chkdsk c /r
and see if this helps
you could also try it with the p switc rather than the f or the r
ie
chkdsk /p
or chkdsk c /p
otherwise go here:
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287
and download your hard drive manufacturers repir and testing utility, burn it as a bootable "image", boot from it and run first the short test and then the long test ( you can skip the accoustic test)
paws, I tried the chkdsk /r and after it was done and restarted the computer it still went to the same blue screen. Yes, I used the space I will try the other options you have listed. What would be the next step if all of these fail? Thank you again, SarahMJ
When you burnt the Cd (for disc checking/repair utility) did you burn it as an image?
Just burning the file to a CD (copying it) wont work,…. it must be burnt as an image
Use ImgBurn if in any doubt and you won't go far wrong.
Available here:
http://www.imgburn.com/