Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Disk Drive not reading CD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Declan

Declan

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:47 PM

Hi, I borrowed a friend's CD specifically to download specific tracks onto my MP3 player (after conversion) ... but, my Disk Drive will not read the CD "Please insert disk" is the message I'm receiving :pullhair: Anyone any ideas?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 John Hook

John Hook

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 03:19 AM

Declan Are you able to read OTHER CDs in your drive? If so, then the problem is likely with the CD from your friend (i.e. dirty, damaged or incompatible with YOUR drive). - John

#3 silverphoenix

silverphoenix

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:00 PM

hi Declan

if you already tried John Hook's suggestion i suggest checking out this thread cd/dvd not reading and follow what HFCG posted esp deletting upper/lower filter. hope tha tfixes your problem.

best of luck

Edited by silverphoenix, 06 October 2008 - 09:03 PM.

#4 Tallon41

Tallon41

Silver Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:Bible<br />Sci-fi <br />PC tech.

Posted 16 October 2008 - 11:15 AM

...and follow what HFCG posted esp deletting upper/lower filter. hope tha tfixes your problem.

that's for Optical drives that are not showing in windows [device manager] at all. Just deleting the keys will likely render inop whatever burning/reading software program is currently in use. If you do that, the program would need to be un-installed and then re-installed.

Your friends drive may not be laying the tracks down quite right....and although his drive can read it, no one's else may be able to. I've seen this before...annoying. Usually it's accompanied with the inablity to read 'commercial' CD's. It will only read media that IT burned/created.

Other than checking it for finger-prints or excessive scratches, trying it in another drive is about your only recourse...

sorry.

Tallon41

#5 HFCG

HFCG

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:I like historical buildings, ghost, and dogs &amp;cats

Posted 16 October 2008 - 10:00 PM

that's for Optical drives that are not showing in windows [device manager] at all.

No, that is for optical and flash drives that can not load the drivers because of a hardware filter.
The drives do show in device manager, with an error that the drivers could not load.
If the filters are at fault the drive will not see any disk (while windows is running) because the drivers where blocked from loading.
Let's have you uninstall the DVD-Drive and then have you reboot and let windows reinstall the drivers for it. To do this, do the following:
  • Go to START-->RUN and type devmgmt.msc
  • In the new window that appears, click the + symbol next to CD/DVD-ROM Drives.
  • Locate the drive in question and right-click it and choose UNINSTALL.
  • Once it's finishing uninstalling, reboot your computer.
Once it's rebooted, try putting a DVD in it again and see if the same thing happens.

----------------------------

If after rebooting you are still having problems, try the following:

Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose Export. Name this file "filters" and save it to your desktop. This file can be deleted when it is determined it is no longer needed.

In the right pane, if either UpperFilters or LowerFilters are present, right click on it and choose Delete...accept the deletion. Delete both if they are both present.

Close Registry Editor and reboot.

----------------------------

If after doing that your drive still doesn't show up, please download CDGone from HERE. Once it's downloaded, extract the files to your desktop and open the READ ME FIRST.TXT file and follow the instructions there.

Post back with how things are going after doing the above.

Edited by HFCG, 16 October 2008 - 10:01 PM.

Deo gratiam habeamus
Thank you for considering a Donation to What the Tech!
The purple text in my post are links for you to click on
Computer CPUs are designed so that the address of any piece of data in virtual memory is tracked by a single integer register. So the total amount of data the computer can keep in its working field depends on the width of these registers. A 32 bit register size enables 232 addresses (4 GB) to be referenced. Switching to a 64 bit register increases the available address space to (approximately) 16 TB. This is why 32 bit operating systems can only use up to 4 GB of RAM, and 64 bit operating systems can use much more. (I have a 32 bit system)

#6 Lightning Rider

Lightning Rider

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 06:35 PM

Awesome! This absolutely worked! Thanks so much! I just had to create an account to thank you. Now, I am off to go install Half-Life because I can now that my disk drive can detect it!

#7 wonkawash

wonkawash

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:32 PM

To the Tech Team, Thank you soooooo much, your solution worked!! I had to move to the second step, but it worked and now so does my cd rom! Can't thank you enough!!!!

#8 -Redeye-

-Redeye-

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:PCs, Gaming etc

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:49 AM

Glad to see that this fix is still helping people after such a while - 2 years+ ^_^

You could make a thread saying thanks in the section specific for that purpose

http://forums.whatth...p?showforum=182

--Redeye