This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Advice on New Video Card

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hey I need some advice on getting a new graphics card. This old one that I've had for 4 years isn't doing it anymore. Here are the specs of my computer: -Link-. If you have any advice on which video card to get it would be great as long as the price isn't too unreasonable like between $100-$200 is good. Also when I asked for advice somewhere else, they recommended that I get a new power supply as well since the one I have wont be enough for a good video card so if you have advice about that it'll be fantastic.

Thanks.
Hi Timeo and welcome.

Graphics cards can have a bigger impact on performance than the CPU in today's graphics oriented world. The graphics processor unit (GPU) on today's modern cards can also have many millions more transistors on the die than CPUs, generate more heat than CPUs, and consume more power than CPUs. I recommend you check out Best Video Cards For The Money: August '08 : The Best Graphics Cards for the Money: August 2008 - Tom's Hardware. They cover both PCI Express and AGP, so make sure you are in the right area.

Then, AFTER you have selected a graphics card, use the eXtreme PSU Calculator Lite to determine the power supply unit (PSU) requirements. Plug in all the hardware for that computer over the next 2 or 3 years (including extra drives, bigger or 2nd video card, more RAM, etc.). Be sure to read and heed the notes at the bottom. I recommend you set Capacitor Aging to 30%, and if participating in distributive computing projects (e.g. BOINC or Folding@Home), I recommend setting TDP to 100%. Research the video card and pay particular attention to the power supply requirements for the card listed on the video card maker's website. Then look for power supply brands listed under the "Good" column of PC Mechanic's PSU Reference List. Ensure the supplied amperage on the +12V rails of your chosen PSU meets the requirements of that video card. Don't try to save a few dollars by getting a cheap supply. Digital electronics, including CPUs, RAM, and today's advanced graphics cards, need clean, stable power. A good, well chosen supply will provide years of service and upgrade wiggle room. I strongly recommend you pick a supply with an efficiency rating equal to, or greater than 80%. Look for the 80 Plus - EnergyStar Compliant label. And don't forget to budget for a good UPS with AVR (automatic voltage regulation).
Some of the information that the eXtreme PSU Calculator asks for I have no idea if I have it or not. I've consulted the manual and it says nothing about fans, TEC cooling or water pump or anything of the kind.
Hi there,

If you are still looking for information about this, those choices do look pretty good. Antec make great power supplies - both of my desktops run on them.

I have to admit, though, that the PSU you have selected is probably a bit of overkill. This PSU is fantastic and will provide high-quality power for your needs.

After a bit of research, it looks like the HD 3000 series AGP cards have some driver problems. I was looking at other AGP cards to recommend, but they either have the same problems or are just plain "no good".

If you can get the card working with the correct drivers (apparently not the ones on the disc), it's a great card. This initial hurdle would get me questioning whether or not it's worth it.

Cheers

Troy

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI