This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Unable to boot up laptop

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi,

I hope I am in the right place. I've been direct here via Spybot.

My friend has an Acer Travelmate 2413LM, Intel Celeron M Processor 370. Running Windows XP with Explorer 7 which we are unable to start up. Either stes to the windows logo with the little load bar and keeps loading, or if you can get to the safe mode options, select safe mode, the list of drivers runs then freezes. The comp doesn't get past either of these points.

He said he was looking on you tube, when a screen came up asking for what I think was Java. He said he pressed something then has a screen running which run for a couple of hours then it stopped and he hasn't been able to start up since. He isn't very comp lit hence the not to sure of what happened senerio..

I did post on Spybot but as we unable to get past the intial windows logo screen and can't boot in safe mode I was advised to post here. Have also tried last good known boot and same thing happens, the screens run through a long list of files then just stops & hangs until you manually turn of pc.

Edit
Safer Networking Thread
: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=51666
Greetings. Does the friend have the XP CD provided by Acer? If no CD was provided pressing F10 on boot might activate the recovery partition.
Hi Jephree, I have no cd as windows was already installed and it looks like there was an activation of some sort when comp was first set up. Friend bought laptop from someone at work - passed over all Acer dics & 4 back up dics that he did himself. Pressed F10 and get following message: "We apologise for the inconvenience, but windows did not start up successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this. If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, chose last known good configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked. If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the power or reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose start wiondows normally. Safe Mode Safe Mode with networking Safe mode with command prompt Last known good config Start windows normally Use the up & down….. Seconds until windows starts. 28" Tried safe mode - all files flash past the just hangs tried last know good - gets to windows screen and the blue load bar just keeps running start windowsa normally - as above. What to do now? I left it to hang for a while and now a blue screen with "checking file system on C" The type of the file system is FAT32 etc… has appeared. So I've left it running. At 3% at mo… Now showing bad clusters in system volume information\_restore files {files number} null I've manually turned it off as I don't know what it is doing and I am worried that I could be doing more damage. Have been reading that bad clusters could be the HD is dying. Could this be a possibility? Regards MS
Hi, I have followed the info on the guide. Alt & F10 worked. Tried restore factory settings but came back with an error message: Internal error 8027 An internal consistency had been detected. If problem persists contact Symantec tech support… I then tried again but using the back up disc, this has all been fine so far but we seem to be hanging at 40% on copyng files. I don't know if this is normal or whether it will take a couple of hours or what? I've left it for the mo.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI