Hi again guys…. well I hope everyone is good?
Problem: My girls PC. Upon starting up today it came with this message: Missing file: \windows\system32\config\system.
I tried a XP recover cd but no good, as this looked for a license! now i see this PC doesn't have one ( i will take that up with the guys a bought it off)….tried recover screen but when asked which system, selected c\ windows, then that as far as it would go, as it was asking for commands… which i don't know.. This is weird as they were using the pc like 2-3 hours beforehand no problem…
System is XP Home.
Any ideas please.. or am i looking at trying to do a full install? yikes….
Cheers for your time
Update: I seem to remember this happening about a year or so ago too…. I turned the PC off at the wall, seeing if it would power down… upon turning the power back on (at the wall) the PC started by itself….
Upon inserting a XP disc, and waiting for install, it says no user license.. which i know this disc has… Seems like some Malware maybe??
Cheers
This type of problem can happen as a result of corruption of the Registry and/or corruption of the files in System32 folder.
It can also occur as a result of a pending failure of your Hard Drive.
Hey Doug, how are you old friend… You wouldn't believe that I popped into the forum a few days ago just to say hi, and now look.. lololol
I will have a read of those pages and as always I will read and digest before anything…
Well Doug…. im sorry to say that this PC has truly snufft it… It wont let me do anything… every time I used the XP install disc the PC said that it wouldn't recognize the disc. I couldn't even get into Xp Repair…
I cant work out how the machine keeps self starting tho? I pulled the covers off and cleaned her out, disconnected the hard drives power, and then the Motherboards power, yet it would still turn on to run when power turned back on. That has to be weird? as there is nothing apart from the power source.
I have gone for doing a clean install on the other Hard Drive that this PC has… I will let you know what happins.
Cheers
Hey Doug… Well I now have this PC up and running Cool aye …. suprised myself too!!!!!
1st off, seeing this PC had 2 drives, I disconeected the used drive ( this had 2-20gig drives)and left the unused clean drive in, thru in a XP disc, and set up as clean install.. 1hr later she was all up and running…
I also put in the MB ( before clean install) another 512 of ram I had, so that took her to 1.5, I had tried putting in this ram previous but she didnt like it at all… Checking the specs she shows up as 1.5 so that worked.
I couldnt find the disc for my Lan/Adsl 2 line modem, but had a similiar disc from a single line modem…. instaled that and she was on the www…
Only issue I had was no sound, so I uninstalled the sound device, rebooted, Came up with 'found new hardware ( being the sound devise)and let Xp search for the drivers online, 2min later we have sound….
Installed: Malware Bytes, CCleaner, ATF Cleaner and Avast Anti Spy, there are no other programs on this PC apart from what comes with an XP disc… I am impressed at how fast she runs now, its faster than mine lolololol
I have Micrsoft Home & Student Office 2007 to install and that will be it… As this PC is only for WWW, homework and off course games….
1 Issue: this has only USb 1.1 how do you gain USB 2.0? as the Girls Ipods etc use 2.0
Tell me: I seem to have had a dream install? I have heard of freinds spending days tring to get it running again??? That is why I was so hessitant about doing a clean install…
Heck I am now thinking of getting a new hard-drive for my PC as its getting noisey anyway and treat mine to the same….. So with a clean install and leave out the usless junk programs and stick to what i use. she should be hummimg
Then again it all to turn to Drama??? Thoughts please Doug…
The only inconvenience is that the USB sockets will be facing the back of the machine.
No other alternative, though if access is a problem, you can add a USB Hub to the USB 2.0 PCI Card http://www.newegg.com/store/SubCategory.as…rking-_-NA-_-NA
Costs a little bit more that way, but may be convenient.
______________________
Congratulations on the successful work, TOM.
Now all your family, friends and neighbors will be bringing you more 'puter problems to their resident expert!
haha, I dont pronounce to knowing that much Doug…. If I could find the time I would join the Classroom Doug…
Okz bout the USB 2.0, will suss it out for them. Can you still run the 1.1 tho?? as their keyboard is in there, or just go for 2.0 all the way.. Yep hub up to there desk sounds good… as they often use pendrives etc for the homework.
Cheers again..
The USB 1.1 will still exist as is.
The USB 2.0 will be available on a separate channel as it were, so it will not interfere.
I have the same exact setup on this ole' Comaq sr1900nx that I'm typing from.
If you go for a hub, get one with its own power supply.
Yep I will see what we can ge over here, I just searched the example you said from Belkin…. yikes best deal was $64 Kiwi.. But I found a AOC 6port for just uner $30. I will suss later at home… I suppose If I went to a 4-6 port I can just run their cables up to the Desk… save another hassle of a hub and power etc..??
And dont worry I,m not going to delve into my PC for a while lolololol I will need to wait for $$ to purchase new drive… and maybe MB or Vid card or or or
Good on you, Tom.
And yes, USB cords have plugs on both ends for that very reason.
Don't forget to use the "Safely Remove USB device" option when dis-connecting.
It seems a nuisance, until you realize you can use it without powering-down your machine.
Don't forget to use the "Safely Remove USB device" option when dis-connecting.
It seems a nuisance, until you realize you can use it without powering-down your machine.
I do do this Doug, And the kids are too I hope.. but waht do you mean "Without powering down" ????
USB connectable devices can be connected and disconnected to a computer while the computer is continuously running.
HOWEVER, and it is a big however… The USB device itself must be stopped (using "safely remove hardware") before disconnecting the device.
Failure to "stop" the device before unplugging/disconnecting it, can cause data corruption up to and including loss of all saved data on the specific device.
Hey Doug, sorry for delay… yep Ok to that about the USB, I know to do this…
Tell me tho…. Plan: Buy new hard drive for my PC…. remove old HD from PC ( without doing anything to it) ….. Fit new hard drive, install XP and programs… This should be an easy install?????
IF things turned to custard, I still have my old HD with all my bits on it… Can i just refit and hope it will work? or would certain things be changed due to the new HD???
Just wondering is all, my girls PC is so quick now without all the junky programs… so was thinking of doing the same to mine, like only load what i will use… MS Office be the max and a picture program..
Your thoughts
Most major Hard Drive manufacturers will supply a CD or Downloadable "migration software" that will enable you to copy "all" of your original HD onto the new HD, in one easy operation.
Doing the above would give you the very same configuration, OS, applications, updates, all saved files, etc. that you presently have, just on a newer HD.
If your goal is to reduce clutter that you have accumulated over time, then a fresh installation of Windows would be the way to go, plus installing Chipset and other drivers, plus installing all updates, then install your desired application software, and finally transfer any important saved files.
It is sometimes quite remarkable how much improvement can be experienced with the "fresh" procedure.
And sure, you can keep the old HD in reserve, to refit into the machine later if you don't like the new HD.
I'd run the machine with the new HD for several weeks until I was confident of the system.
Then I might format the old drive (wiping out everything) and install it as a second drive for file storage.
The option is up to you.
Best Regards
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI