This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service Pack

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have had this problem for quite some time. My computer continues to show that I have an update available (KB929729) for my computer. Every time I attempt to install the update it fails with an error code 643. I am not sure if this update is important, corrupt, or otherwise necessary. Again, the entire description of the update is as follows: Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service Pack 1 (KB929729). Any help that you may be able to provide is greatly apprecaited as always :thumbup: Thank you for your time. -Brett
Hello wisniewskiorthodontics,
Sorry you are having problems with the installation of update KB929729
You may have to try the instructions given here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100/

Basically, it involves un-installing .NET Framework Version 1.1 Service pack1.

Then download and use (Run as Administrator) the Windows Installer CleanUp
Utility
, and remove all references to .NET Framework Version 1.1 Service
pack 1 (only!).

Then reinstall .NET Framework Version 1.1 Service pack 1:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d…displaylang=en

Then run Windows Update again, to install KB929729.

Keep us posted and don't hesitate to ask for more assistance.

kind regards,
I followed the link you provided (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100/) and followed Method 1: Manually remove and reinstall .NET Framework . When I selected the version of .NET framework that has been causing issues to be uninstalled….well…I was not given the option to uninstall it. So I skipped to Method 2: Use the .NET Framework automatic cleanup tool and used the link Microsoft provides (http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/05/30/611355.aspx). This automatic clean up tool stated that it succesfully removed the .NET Framework 1.1. But then when I went to reinstall the NET Framework Version 1.1 Service pack 1 through the link you've provided (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d…displaylang=en) I receive this error:
📎Windows_Installer.jpg
And as far as the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility I did not see any references to .NET Framework Version 1.1 Service pack 1. I am not sure if I made a mistake by running the automatic cleanup tool provided by Microsoft or not. But i still cannot install the update. I thank you SO MUCH :notworthy: for your time! Sometimes these silly little issues drive me crazy :wacko: I look forward to your response :popcorn:

-Brett
Hello wisniewskiorthodontics,

Does NET Framework Version 1.1 Service pack 1 show in your Add and Remove? I would attempt to uninstall all .Netframework installations from Add and Remove, then use the Windows Uninstaller Cleanup tool.

I would also suggest you read thoroughly the link you provided Microsoft cleanup tool for .Netframework
It states to use it as a last resort and to try uninstalling through Add and Remove in the first instance.

Suggest you could try the following and see if it helps:

Unregister and then reregister Windows Installer. To do this, press the
Windows Key + R, and Copy and Paste this into the Run box:

msiexec /unregister

Click OK. Then Copy and Paste this:

msiexec /regserver

Click OK. Close Run.

Go to the Control Panel > Programs and Features > right-click on .NET Framework
Version 1.1 Service pack 1, and choose Repair, if it's available. Let it
Repair. Then try to Uninstall it.

If that doesn't work, Microsoft recommends trying to uninstall it in Safe
Mode (without Networking).

Let me know if it's still not uninstalling…

kind regards,
What that error says is that NET Framework Version 1.1 Service pack 1 needs to have .Net 1.0 installed first. Sounds like that is what is now missing. Start over as Tallin suggested. Get rid of all version of .NET, then install .NET 1.0, then NET Framework Version 1.1 Service pack 1.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI