This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

can't install update

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I got a message "guided help can't be downloaded, try again later" I'm definitely not saavy enough to attempt to do it manually.
Don't worry about that, I'll give you a simpler proceedure.

1. Click Start, type msconfig into the search box and press Enter
2. Right-click on msconfig and select Run as Administrator

This system configuration box will appear:
📎ScreenClip000027.jpg

3. Left-click on Diagnostic startup as show above.
4. Left-click on Apply tab and then OK tab
5. Restart your computer
6. Try to download Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 now.

If successful (or not)
Repeat steps 1 and 2 above and select Normal startup / Apply tab / OK tab
Restart your computer.
Open start Menu and click on Run (if run box is not there, on the open start menu right-click an empty blue spot near the top and select properties / customize / advanced / scroll down until you see Run command and tick the box next to it / click the OK tab / Apply tab / OK

Open the start menu again and click on Run. Type in msconfig / OK / click diagnostic startup / apply / OK

Restart your computer and try the download again.

After download (or not) repeat the above instructions but ticking normal startup / apply / OK
Lets go to safe mode with networking to allow you to do what you need to do to. You will have the minimum services operating but with the internet working.

Start / run / msconfig / click on BOOT.INI tab / check /SAFEBOOT / check NETWORK / Apply / OK

Once you have completed your tasks, you need to reopen msconfig following the instructions above and uncheck the /SAFEBOOT box so that the computer will boot into normal Windows mode the next time you start it up. Then click Apply / OK

Reboot

Write these instruction down so that you have ready access to them when in safe mode, or copy and paste to notebook and save to desktop. Alternatively, you can view this thread while in safe mode with networking.
I will do this tonight or tomorrow… I came home yesterday to no electricity and was in bed before they got it on - so yesterday got absolutely nothing done and I'm in school until late this afternoon. Thanks for the help and thanks for the patience.
Ok now that I actually have a minute to do this I have found I don't understand the directions AM I typing that whole line of start/run etc or am I typing something and then clicking on BOOT.INI tab - checking off a SAFEBOOT box/ checking a network box etc?? I need really detailed instructions I am not techy at all.
Unless you have a restricted XP account, Safeboot should not be greyed out.
If you are the only account on you computer it should be an admin, account by default.

Check Account Type:
To open User Accounts, click Start, click Control Panel, and then click User Accounts. If Administrator, lets try a different method to get into safe mode with networking. What is it?
(Safe Mode with Networking (SAFEBOOT + Network): This option uses a minimal set of device drivers and services to start Windows together with the drivers that you must have to load networking).

How to start Windows XP in Safe Mode with Networking
1. Immediately after the computer is powered on or restarted (usually after you hear your computer beep),tap the F8 key in 1 second intervals .
2. After your computer displays the hardware information and runs the memory test, the Advanced Boot Options menu will appear.
📎ScreenClip000003.jpg
3. Use the down arrow key to select Safe Mode with Networking and then press ENTER.
(your display diver will not be loaded so don't worry that your screen is black)

Try the download now.
think the first place i'd start is to totally uninstall .net v1.1 and forget about it.
i don't think there's much that still uses it now anyway and the net. v2 or newer should be all you need now.

if you want to persevere with trying to get the 1.1 update installed anyway tho here's another link to try after following lee's expert advice only if for some unlikely reason he can't fix your problem. :- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922377

:popcorn:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI