Software
Microsoft Update Issues
2 min read
devonrexcatz
Topic Starter
Hi
For a few weeks now my computer wants to update (1 of 1) "Microsoft Net Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and Net Framework 3.5 Family Update for Net Version 2.0 through to 3.5 (KB951847) x 86" when shutting down. This update is never installed, even with a restart.
I followed your suggestion in your first forum post and went to the Microsoft Help and Support website only to discover a phone call would cost me $72. I opted not to call and was directed to a Microsoft Answers page which is in Chinese.
Could you please help.
Thankyou
Belinda
Doug
Hi
For a few weeks now my computer wants to update (1 of 1) "Microsoft Net Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and Net Framework 3.5 Family Update for Net Version 2.0 through to 3.5 (KB951847) x 86" when shutting down. This update is never installed, even with a restart.
I followed your suggestion in your first forum post and went to the Microsoft Help and Support website only to discover a phone call would cost me $72. I opted not to call and was directed to a Microsoft Answers page which is in Chinese.
Could you please help.
Thankyou
Belinda
Hi Belinda,
I'm confused.
Have you posted this same topic elsewhere?
Please supply a link to what your refer.
devonrexcatz
Hi Doug…no not at all. This is a totally new problem. The link is http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=113990. Thanks
Doug
.net Framework has historically been problematic.
Are you running XP Pro as per your profile listing?
There is a problem-solving set available from Microsoft, here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982/en-us
Read it carefully and only use the portion that relates to your operating system and .net framework 3.5
Are you running XP Pro as per your profile listing?
There is a problem-solving set available from Microsoft, here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982/en-us
Read it carefully and only use the portion that relates to your operating system and .net framework 3.5
devonrexcatz
Yes XP Pro…Thanks, I'll go to that site.
devonrexcatz
I've downloaded the cleanup tool. Do I just run it and that's it? It states that "If you run the cleanup tool, you will need to perform a repair/re-install for all other versions of the .NET Framework that are on your computer or they will not work correctly afterwards". Too confusing for me I'm afraid.
Doug
The Microsoft proposed solution is based on the assumption that one or more of the .net framework installations on the user's machine has become corrupted in some manner.
In order to benefit from updated .net framework features, the user would therefore need to clean-up old installations and start fresh with new installation of .net framework.
It used to be that a user would have to progressively install each version of .net framework progressively, for instance starting with version 1, then 1.1, then 2, then 3.0, then 3.5 and I think for Vista/Windows 7 there is a version 4.0 update.
The linked solution article provides suggestions for re-installing .net framework after cleaning up any old corrupted versions from your machine.
Do you need .net framework? Maybe.
devonrexcatz
Sorry but I wouldn't have a clue whether I need .net framework or not. I'm also finding the information on the page suggested, too daunting and confusing.
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI